Freedom hawk kayaks

KINGFISHER

Does anyone have any experience with the Freedom Hawk kayaks? They look awesome as the back hull splits apart for better stabilization when standing. Fly Fishing West Georgia calls them the ultimate fly fishing kayak. I'm saving up right now to get one, but wondered if anyone has had the luck to try one out yet.

Randy

I guess it depends on where you fish the most. I do know that Kent just picked them up as a sponsor. They, are as advertised, very stable but along with stability comes other issues like speed and paddleing efficiency. Where do you plan on using it the most?

KINGFISHER

I plan on using it in ponds, on rivers, and to do some inshore fishing, but I would be fishing the most in freshwater. However, the whole reason I'm buying a kayak is for the salt. This will be my first kayak and the idea of standing up really got me interested, especially since 80% of my fishing is done on the fly. Do you think speed and paddling efficiency will be hindered?

Randy

Of course paddleing efficiency is always hindered buy a stable boat but unless you are paddleing a long distance it shoudl work fine.

I will say that in some of the rivers we fish these boats take a beating. I think the movable parts on the Freedon Hawks have yet to be tested in the rocks. Another thing to consider is deck space. These boats do not have a lot of deck space to mount or rig to. That may not be as important in fly fishing.

Randy

Thanks Randy, think I'm gonna do more homework until I buy one.

NOTHING beats a trial ride. I bet Kent will be glad to have you try one. Of course I have just about every kayak we make if you want to try out any of the Ocean Kayaks.

KINGFISHER

Next time I head toward Griffin I will definitely take you up on that! I have seen the Ocean Kayaks but am generally unfamiliar with them. Which would you suggest for the type of fishing I suggested?

Randy

What size person are you? Yes I know that is not a politically correct question.:D

Randy

If you really want to stand up (and I think standing is over rated) then the only Ocean Kayak for you would be the Big Game.