Sage largemouth

Randy

I looked at them but went with just a standard 7wt Sage Z-Axis. Having to have a "special" fly line kind of turned me off.

centerpin fan

It's 7'11", actually.

Never fished with it, just admired it at Bass Pro. Very light in the hand. From what I understand, it's designed for a lot of quick "pick up and lay down" casts.

Randy

I think any line in the recommended grain weight will work.

Maybe but Sage did make a special line for these rods to perform at their optimum and they suggest you use them. It is a specifically designed line for these actions.

centerpin fan

Maybe but Sage did make a special line for these rods to perform at their optimum and they suggest you use them. It is a specifically designed line for these actions.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the line, but I thought that was just Sage trying to sell you something you don't really need. (That would be a first. :D)

I checked with a buddy of mine on another forum who has the rod. He said a standard WF-9 works great.

KINGFISHER

Yeah I see now that they have introduced a Bluegill in the series. I assume it is the equivalent of a 7 wt? Randy I was kinda unsure about the specialty line myself. How do you like the Z-Axis? Worth the money? I kinda hung up between Sage and TFO. My wife says I need another fly rod like I need a knock in the head, but I'm sure you all have heard that before!

The Largemouth rod is actually the equivalent of an 11 weight. The smallmouth is a 9 and the bluegill is a 7. Obviously, this isn't for fighting the fish, though; it's for casting huge bass bugs, big smallmouth flies and relatively big (for a fly rod) bream flies, respectively.

I got to fish the Largemouth rod for a couple of days last year down on Lake Seminole and IT IS AWESOME! I'll be purchasing the Smallmouth rod soon as that one works just fine for bigger bugs and is great for all-day casting on farm ponds, big impoundments or smallie, redeye or shoal bass rivers.

Randy

Honestly I am not the person to ask if the Sage is worth it. I do love it but is it worth the money over a TFO? I could not tell you. I have never thrown a TFO.

centerpin fan

I kinda hung up between Sage and TFO.

I have two TFO Pros and like them a lot. Check out the TicrX. That line has a 7'6" 8wt that you might like. They also have an 8' MiniMag that might suit you. Both rods are $100-$150 cheaper than the Sage.

KINGFISHER

Thanks Centerpin, I didn't realize they had a 7'6" 8wt in their line. I'm kinda leaning more toward TFO anyways considering the price. Also thanks TT for your info on the Sage line.

Tightliner

Yeah I see now that they have introduced a Bluegill in the series. I assume it is the equivalent of a 7 wt? Randy I was kinda unsure about the specialty line myself. How do you like the Z-Axis? Worth the money? I kinda hung up between Sage and TFO. My wife says I need another fly rod like I need a knock in the head, but I'm sure you all have heard that before!

Not Randy but, I have both a 6wt and 4wt Z axis. The 6 is absolutly the finest rod I've ever casted. It punches the wind like a rocket! Unlike most faster rods, it is a pleasure to cast but still gets the job done. The 4 wt cast really good, that is, if you like a faster action in a lighter rod. I have a T&T Horizon in the same weight and length, head to head, no compairison. Its Z-Axis hands down. Any weight rod smaller than a 4 IMHO should be a moderate to light action. There is no real reason for that kind of speed in a light line. A 7wt Z axis is a great casting rod too, I just dont like the Full Wells grip.

Go down to the Fish Hawk and get Gary to string up a few different rods for you to cast. Thats the best way to choose a rod that fits your casting style.

Later....................................................

PS: RIO Grand line is .5 overweighted and a perfect match for a Z.