I saw him!!

woody116

Man, got out yesterday. The weatherbug said the wind was 10 mph from the southwest. Got out to my spot, hung my stand, did a scent drag, and was in my tree by 620am. Legal shooting time was 650am, so I was good to go. Only thing is that as it got near sunup, the wind really kicked up (30-40 mph gusts) and it was a rough ride. I had to grab a limb a couple times to help keep my balance while standing.
Right at sunrise I caught site of one coming in head on, then turned to my left about 40 yards out. It wasnt wasting time, but not spooked or trotting. It doubled back and crossed in front of me about 35 yards or so out. This is when I saw antlers, but forced myself to not look at em. He got to my right and started into the thick stuff, but hung right on the edge. He came back out and started coming straight to me, and this is when I saw full view of the rack. HOLY COW!!! This is one of those brusiers Illinois is known for. I didnt look at the rack, but it was very wide and massive. I am guessing an 8-10 pt, but I didnt want to think about it.
He walked the edge of the clearing, but never presented a shot. Hung up behind a shrub/tree thing about 15 yards to my right, so no shot possible. This was a trail right where I did my drag, so I was hoping he would step out towards the scent rag I had hung. Or, if he followed that trail it would give a 15 yard shot.
Either way he went, I would have a short shot at him............................or not. He simply vanished. Never heard him leave that spot, and I wouldnt have guessed he could have gone straight away from me. But, he must have. I waited about 5-10 min, but no sight. Then I gave a bleat (can), followed by a soft grunt. Nothing. Didnt see him again.

You have no idea how much it hurt to not get back out last night or today. I dont see me getting back out before next weekend.
But, seeing him and haveing him in range, but no shot presented......what a rush that was.

Bow Only

I was ground hunting one time and had a high racked 7 pt come in to 15 yards. He stopped behind a tree like your buck did. Either way he went, I had a shot. He also walked 150 yards directly away from me behind that tree and never knew I was there. I killed him an hour later coming back the way he came.