Early age hunting

dbodkin

Let me preface this with a flat statement:

I am all for getting kids outdoors away from the TV and video games!

That being said I wonder about a 5 year old with a hunting rifle on public land as I walk in or out of the woods... I'm sure any responsible parent would properly monitor and teach safety, and ethical hunting. However, have you ever seen a 5 year old get excited or throw a tantrum in public?... What maturity level can you expect from a 5 year old with a 22-250 slung on their shoulder? I know in many states I've lived in they set minimum ages to hunt usually around 12. They must pass a hunter safety course. How does a 5 year old attain his/her hunter safety certificate when they may not even be able to read... I know....... there are mature, smart young ones.. Some more smarts then many who are much much older...
I dont have kids that young.. I've not looked into the GA regs so the parent/guardian may have to be right there with the child..

j_seph

I'd say that most 5 year olds are sitting with an adult, or had better be!

arcame

I took my 3 1/2 year old with me on a scouting trip on sun. and we had a ball. THERE IS NO WAY THAT I WOULD EVEN CONSIDER LETTING HIM CARY HIS OWN WEAPON UNTIL HE IS AT LEAST 8. and I can't wait until that time.

jmfauver

I don't have any kids,but we would not let my niece carry until 14 ( 12 is the law in MD)...She was just not ready,now she is 16 and got her first last year at 15 ( from my old stand)

wozbean

Granted this was a long time ago but if I recall correctly Ohio was 12 years of ago. I actually still have my little card showing my Hunter Safety Course complete from back then. That was back in the early 80's. I was in Scouts at the time too.

No one under the age of 12 is allowed to hunt unsupervised in the state of GA. Hunters age 12-15 who have completed a hunter's education course may hunt unsupervised. Any hunter 16 or over must complete a hunter's education course before purchasing a license.

The problem I have with the law is the definition of "supervised." It says "within sight or hearing." I would prefer if the adult had to be "within reach."

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Never have understood the idea to start a 5 or 6 year old out hunting by sitting in a deer stand and "shooting" one with a rifle while dad helps. To each his own. I started mine out squirrel hunting with a pellet gun like I did, then a shotgun while going deer hunting with me. Going to teach him about trapping this year. When he gets a deer he gets a deer.

I'm trying to teach him to be a woodsman/hunter more than a sitter and shooter.

Again, to each his own, though.

T

Fuller

Never have understood the idea to start a 5 or 6 year old out hunting by sitting in a deer stand and "shooting" one with a rifle while dad helps. To each his own. I started mine out squirrel hunting with a pellet gun like I did, then a shotgun while going deer hunting with me. Going to teach him about trapping this year. When he gets a deer he gets a deer.

I'm trying to teach him to be a woodsman/hunter more than a sitter and shooter.

Again, to each his own, though.

T

You hit it perfect my friend. My dad taught me to hunt and gun safety for years before letting me shoot my first deer. Someone who lets a 5 or 6 year old shoot a deer is doing the child an injustice. By the time they are old enough to understand what it means to take somethings life, it has become second nature. This is my biggest peav regarding hunting.

Latest posts