What kind of acorn?

E

early riser

Wished I had picked some up for pictures now, but what kind of acorn is long and slender like the first section of your little finger. I found a spot in the woods all torn up with them still falling like rain as well as a few white oak acorns still dropping. The ground was tore slap uo with tracks and a fire break down the side of the oak hill looks like a cattle path with so many tracks on top of one another, it's almost hard to see they are deer tracks the ground is turned up so much from their travel.

Checked out another hardwood hill that the last several weeks was showing no signs. Saturday it showed a BIG-UN had moved in and laid down a SERIOUS rub line on some good sized pines with fresh sap flowing and wet bark lying all around the tree bases!

Gotta have a stand in both aeras by mid week or at least before the next 10 day peak rut period kicks in!

early riser

E

early riser

Oak leaves :D .

Best bet might be for me to take some sample of both this weekend. The bark sure looks flaky like a White Oak, but the acorn is long and slender.

Will try to post pictures but it will be at least 11 days!

e.r.

Sounds like...

Live oak acorns to me.

Does this link show what you're talking about?

http://danr.ucop.edu/ihrmp/coast.html

BTW... the acorns will turn a dark brown as they mature and drop... also, as Leo writes, they usually (at least around here) are more rounded.

Robin

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
ER, I think I saw a similar acorn a couple of weeks ago in Jasper,

it had lighter colors on it and when I looked in the "Trees of North America" book it did not show any similar.

I had picked one up to bring back but did not find it when I got back to camp. I could not really ID the leaves as I think the acorns had been washed down the hillside to the fire break I was on. There were also a few empty husk and tracks near it :)

leo

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
Robin that looks similar to the one I saw,

except the ends were not as pointed but rounded off more.

leo

E

early riser

LOL!

Leo,

same with this tree, they were long and slender a light brown and not quite as pointed. I didn't think we had any Live Oaks around our part of the country/state.

I'll bring home the leaves and acorns to share in the next 2 weeks, but with rut coming on, I'll be gone and won't be back till after rut if things around here go as planned.

early riser

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
What Kind of Acorn?

Live Oak is limited to the Lower Coastal Plain. A few have been planted as landscape trees in other parts of the state, but it is not likely that there is one in Hancock County.

I am not aware of any acorn in Piedmont Georgia that could be described as long and thin. I, along with others will await the photo of leaves and acorns. A shot of the tree trunk (up close) wouldn't hurt.

Vernon

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
What Kind of Acorn

Chestnut Oaks acorns are relatively large and are far from being "long and slender".

In the same manner that the Live Oak is a deep South Georgia tree, the Chestnut Oak is a tree of the mountains and foothills. E. R.'s hunting grounds are a far cry from either of these locations.

The jury will remain out until E.R. can provide more evidence.

Vernon

FX Jenkins

Good link there Duke13...I got me a edumucation....

kcausey

Banned
Oaks...

Swamp Chestnut Oak: still a white oak. very flaky bark, white; acorns are fat and stubby. very proportionate from length to width. acorns are a bright green when they first fall, turning chocolate. Leaves are also proportionate length to width almost look like a fan; all the while with round lobes and no points (bristle tips) (on lobes)

Chestnut Oak: also a white oak. very flaky bark. acorns are usually more slim and longer than the swamp version, but in some cases, there is no difference. also bright green, then chocolate. Leaves basically look the same. most cases, only way to tell the difference in Swamp Chestnut Oak and Chestnut Oak is the location, moisture wise.

White Oak: very flaky bark. Acorns are very proportionate from length to width. Getting huge, (golfball sized sometimes.) Very flaky bark also. Acorns are first a dense bright green, then turn kinda reddish brown. Leaves are different than chestnut (and swamp chestnut) oaks. Lobes are very defined, protruding with no bristle tips once again.

Post Oak: Red Oak. rough, thick bark, very tight and with deep vertical gaps. Post oak acorns are yellow inside, like any other red oak. They first fall light brown, turn very dark brown. These acorns are usually about typical marble size and not very desirable to game because of the usual bitter tanic acids carried in red oaks. Leaves usually have 7 very defined (1 1/2-2") lobes and have very defined bristle tips.

Sand Post Oak: same as post oak, just with smaller acorns, only difference in the habitat, moisture wise......dryer.

Live Oak: Red Oak. Usually have a slicker bark in Georgia than most oaks. Leaves nearly the same as Post oak. Acorns are usually pinky finger diameter and are very proportionate length to width. These oaks are the most desirable red oak to game, less TANIC acid.

Water Oak: (everyone knows) Most common oak in piedmont and coastal plain Georgia far as i remember. Small, very dark greyish acorns from first fall to rotting. Bark can range to look like any red oak, just like the leaves. Water Oaks will fool just about anyone to thinking they are some other kind of red oak. all you need to see is one leaf that has that typical water oak tri-lobed leaf with bristle tips and that classifies it as a water oak. These are fairly desirable to game, for red oaks.

I could sit here and go on all day about oaks most have never heard of, but those are some of the basics. AS A RULE YOU CAN ALWAYS GO BY: RED OAKS ALWAYS HAVE BRISTLE TIPS AND SHINY LEAVES. WHITE OAKS HAVE NO BRISTLE TIPS AND USUALLY HAVE AN OPAQUE COLOR (GREEN), CONTRARY TO THE PICTURE POSTED BELOW, WHERE THE LEAVES ARE SHINY ON THE WHITE OAK. ALL RED OAKS HAVE TANIC ACIDS, SOME MORE THAN OTHERS, WHICH TURN THE TASTEBUDS OF GAME OFF.

IF YOU MAY BE WANDERING, THIS IS FROM A COUPLE OF SEMESTERS IN FORESTRY SCHOOL AT ABAC.
ANY MORE QUESTIONS, ASK....KIP

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
kcausey said:
Live Oak: Red Oak. Usually have a slicker bark in Georgia than most oaks. Leaves nearly the same as Post oak. Acorns are usually pinky finger diameter and are very proportionate length to width. These oaks are the most desirable red oak to game, less TANIC acid.
Kip: You have provided some useful information, but if you will allow me, I will point out one or two discrepancies in your data. Leaves of Live Oak and Post Oak have no similarity whatever. Live Oak leaves are small, oblong, and never lobed. Post Oak leaves are much larger and are always lobed.

Water Oak: (everyone knows) Most common oak in piedmont and coastal plain Georgia far as i remember. Small, very dark greyish acorns from first fall to rotting. Bark can range to look like any red oak, just like the leaves. Water Oaks will fool just about anyone to thinking they are some other kind of red oak. all you need to see is one leaf that has that typical water oak tri-lobed leaf with bristle tips and that classifies it as a water oak. These are fairly desirable to game, for red oaks.

Water Oak displays a greater degree of variability in leaf shape than does most of the other oaks. This makes it difficult to state what the "typical" leaf is like.
Many as you state have tri-lobed leaves, but you will find an equal number of Water Oaks that are not lobed at all.

With regards to "bristle tips", it is true that some trees will have leaves with bristle tips, but most Water Oaks will have leaves that are rounded and smooth on the edges with no bristles.

kcausey

Banned
Well...

I dont want to get a debate started on this deal...Im just simply going by the facts that Yankee professor of mine put in my head 4 1/2 hours a day in dendrology class.

I guess when i said that the water oak leaves are tri-lobed, i was basically trying to throw it into Leymans terms due to not having any reference. However, i have seen plenty of water oaks with bristle tips....and true, the tri-lobed im talking about is not well defined at all in 99.9% of water oak leaves i have seen...just vaguely rounded off lobes. I can remember having field tests on water oaks, and having to look at literally 1000's of leaves to finally determine whether it was a pin oak, water oak, willow oak, or in some cases, live oak.....i just kinda wanted to throw the idea of the water oak being an imposter in some cases.

The main point i was looking at getting across was the difference in red oaks and white oaks, and the tanic acid factor...for folks that aren't very keen on them. i will admit, my knowledge is not as sharp as it was when i was fresh out of dendro, and the deal with the live oak and post oak leaves was inaccurate.

Like i say, i aint looking to get a debate started, i do hope my accurate info did help at least one person out.
Kip

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
What Kind of Acorn?

Kip: No debate here. My thanks to you for providing this useful information. You have been most helpful.

Vernon

E

early riser

OK, the jury is still out, but there has been more evidence aquired ;) .

I failed to get a picture of the bark ::huh:, but here are the leaves and the acorns. Most white oaks I have seen were big fat and round.

Like I described these earlier in the post, these are long and slender and grow in clusters like grapes.

Any ideas, the bark and leaves sure looks like a white oak but the acorns don't to me ::huh: .

Sorry..., Pictures have since been removed.

e.r.