Bradford-White water heater question

BANDERSNATCH

I have a 20-gallon water heater that is attached to a 'mother-in-law' room at my house. My son uses it regularly and says that the hot water doesn't last very long. I don't see a drain valve on this model....

How can I drain the tank so that I can check the heater thingamajig?

any other suggestions on troubleshooting?

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
Disconnect electric power to heater. Close valve on cold water supply to heater. Open all hot valves served by heater (lavatory, shower). Allow water to drain from these fixtures. Close shower valves. You have now drained everything possible by gravity on the hot side. If the heater is below the valve level of the lavatory, there will still be some water left in the heater. Prepare to mop the rest when you unscrew the element from the heater.

BANDERSNATCH

thanks. that's what I was thinking...that even if I open all the hot valves, there will probably be quite a bit of water left in the water heater. would be much more convenient to have a drain plug near bottom of tank. Why they didn't put one there in the first place beats me.

BOOMHOWSER

I work for a plumbing supply house that reps B/W heaters. I don't know how much hot water you are getting, but a 20gal heater won't give you very much. A 40gal heater will only supply 25 gallons of hot water, so, a 20gal will only provide roughly 5 gallons. This is more of a heater for a sink only use. Not a tub or shower. Probably not what you needed, but hope this helps. It is alot of trouble draining a heater.

will a faulty element increase the amount of power used by a water heater?

The element can get coated with minerals, which effectively insulates it, and requires it to use more electricity. Probably pretty common with Florida water.

So I guess technically the element is not faulty but it's not working like it's supposed.

BANDERSNATCH

The element can get coated with minerals, which effectively insulates it, and requires it to use more electricity. Probably pretty common with Florida water.

So I guess technically the element is not faulty but it's not working like it's supposed.

This water heater has been part of our home since I bought it....and that's been about 12 years I think. How long should they last? My home is fed by city water....so it shouldn't have the minerals in it that ground water would have.....at least I wouldn't think.

I'll try to pull the element tonight and I'll take a picture and share....

BOOMHOWSER

These heaters have a 6 year tank and parts warranty. I've seen heaters last 20 years, and I've seen them go out after 6 years. If it's lasted 12 years, that's good. I'll send you a copy of the B/W service manual if you want to PM me your email address.