Clover Plots

dixie

I was up this weekend and rode the plots to see how the old ones are doing and to see if the new ones are catching up. The older plots need to be cut but it's just too late to do it, the new clover plot is just now beginning to sprout up. The new plot wasn't doing right so we overseeded with alfa-rack, it's doing a better but I'm still not real happy with it.

Last edited:

dixie

older

plots are doing OK

Last edited:
E

early riser

The top one almost looks like one of my fields Dixie, If they were a hill leading down to the left side, I would say you been on my place. The bottom pic looks GOOD, looks like you can see the stems where they been nipping it pretty good.

Our field is 4 years old now and was taken completely over by other broad leafed weeds and head high crabgrass in the summer, but after closely mowing it, it has came back out with still a pretty fair amount of clover in it. Too much to till under this fall, but possibly next fall if other things hold out.

For some reason we don't seem to have the deer on the clover this year like in years past, and I have fertilized it and checked the PH ::huh: . Saying that, I don't seem to be seeing the does I have seen in years past either. We are still seeing deer almost every sitting, however seeing large numbers of young bucks and button heads. Maybe out ratio has come way into check. Hope the surrounding clubs lighten up on the does now, cause we have. Only one deer has been taken so far this year, only because we have chosen not to go hog wild till at least after the rut, The other is because one of our members can't shoot and has missed twice :p .

He has been warned not to continue to educate our deer.

early riser

dixie

Clover

E.R. we're seeing the same thing as you are, I don't expect the deer to use them till after a hard freeze or heavy frost. Like you also, about four years is all I'm getting from them before weeds and grasses move in and choke them out. We do have one plot that LOOKS like just grass from a distance, but when I walked it yesterday, it's full of clover, just under the grass.

dixie

Thanks

Jim, , that pic was shot in the large plot I posted a pic of earlier this year.