ATV Winch

rjcruiser

Okay..I've searched the various forums and not a lot has been written on the subject.

I've got an '01 Recon 250 2wd stock for the most part and want to put a winch on it so that if and when I get stuck, I can get myself out of the situation (as long as a tree is nearby).

I'm currently looking at a new old stock Warn 2500. Has remote, but no thumb switch. I think I can get it for a decent deal (less than $200), but is it worth it?

Or should I spend about $100-125 and get a Gorilla or other off brand winch?

Also, do I need a thumb switch or should I just fab up a mount for the remote to go near the handlebars?

Lastly, other than the mount, are they pretty basic to install?

Inthegarge

I have been through this several times in the past few years. I now get winches from Sportsmansguide. I use a switch mounted by the instruments but have found occasionally a remote switch would have been nice. You will have to mount a solinoid (sp) to keep from killing your battery. The instructions are usually with the winch but all the parts are not. The mount itself is pretty basic but I have had to modify it to make it fit my 4 wheeler. It is well worth the time in my opinion. Good Luck......RW

MonroeTaco

FWIW. I've had a Gorilla 2500# on my Grizzly 350 for 3 years now, used it dozens of times without a problem. I paid $150 for it new. It only has 35' of cable, so I carry some straps just in case.

Last edited:

stratos201

Check out Cabelas, I just bought a 2000# for $79 bucks and added a few things to push the order over $100 and got free shipping.

MonroeTaco

Don't get a "Woods" brand, that may be what Cabelas is selling. Had one of those on my little Suzuki 250 and used it 2 times before the pot metal drum snapped in half.

AM1

that is a pretty good price for a Warn. They usually sell for around 400 bucks (new). They are suppose to be the cream of the crop. Having said all of that, I went cheap and put a Superwinch from Northern Tool on my Big Bear for 190 dollars, plus the cost of the mounting plate. Installed it myself. It was kind of fun to do, no problems.

rjcruiser

that is a pretty good price for a Warn. They usually sell for around 400 bucks (new). They are suppose to be the cream of the crop. .

Well...I think I got a deal. The guy said it was a 2500 lb winch, but it was actually a 3,000 lb winch:banana::banana: Came with his Yamaha Rhino and per the Yamaha site, it is a $590 option. Per Warn, if you get the RT30 (which is the same thing) it is a $520 winch.

So...it is going to be big time over-kill on my little Recon 250, but hey...can't complain as I was able to pick it up for $175. Even included some type of universal mount...hopefully it will work for my recon. Now...just gotta figure out when I have time to put it on instead of being in the woods :D

Tank1202

Go to Honda Foreman forum. They have some guys on there with alot of info that can help you out with about anything that you could possibly come across. Just a little info for Honda owners.