PDA

View Full Version : Vanilla and Water??????

amicablerogue
12-09-2009, 07:01 PM
I have seen some people mention mixing 3oz vanilla extract and 8oz water in a spray bottle. Does this work? How do you apply it? Do you spray it all over you like scent killer or just your boots and a drag? And last but not least, is it legal to use this?
I would like to try new things but this seems a little odd.
Thanks!

cathooker
12-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Spray it on your boots, make a drag rag scent trail with it and yes it is just as legal as the various "deer attractants" you buy. It does work!

Killdee
12-09-2009, 07:37 PM
I had a bottle in my pack, not diluted, that I poured a cap full on a trail I wanted a deer to stop on in bow range last weekend. A big doe did stop and licked the ground where I poured it.

Ribeye Lover
12-09-2009, 07:53 PM
I had some straight vanilla on cotton hung in limb and doe came in and licked it for about a minute

Bradley_G
12-09-2009, 08:18 PM
do you use the imitation vanilla extract (like for baking) or does it have to be pure?

cjoice
12-09-2009, 08:25 PM
I used it and had a small doe follow me out of the woods the other night...just put it on my boots...

ponyboy
12-09-2009, 08:32 PM
do you use the imitation vanilla extract (like for baking) or does it have to be pure?

you can use the imitation..

cathooker
12-09-2009, 09:20 PM
I use the pure. I've never tried the imitation. One morning early in the rifle season I sprayed my boots with a special vanilla mix I came up with and had a really nice 2.5 year old seven point trail me right to my stand.

Bradley_G
12-10-2009, 09:42 AM
I use the pure. I've never tried the imitation. One morning early in the rifle season I sprayed my boots with a special vanilla mix I came up with and had a really nice 2.5 year old seven point trail me right to my stand.

care to share?

Sargent
12-10-2009, 11:29 AM
I use a medium sized spray bottle from the travel section in Walmart. I covered it with camo duct tape to make it seem more manly.

I use pure vanilla extract (just because- imitation should work, too). I use one small bottle and fill the spray bottle up 50-75% full with water.

I use it to cover my trail. I also spray it on tree limbs around where I am hunting.

Some variants:
Add apple juice- Never tried it, but it makes sense.
Disolve peanut butter in the solution- tried it and I saw a few. Not sure it was because of the concoction, though.

Mostly, I have just used the vanilla/water solution. It is certainly not a magic wand, but if deer are around, they will probably come check it out.

dawg2
12-10-2009, 11:33 AM
They will check out just about anything sweet

kedo
12-10-2009, 12:06 PM
I use it all the time. Spray it lightly all over as a cover and on bottom of boots. the doe, i shot 10 yards from my stand, followed my trail I took to my stand that morning. Never spooked her at all. :cheers:

crappiejt
12-10-2009, 01:35 PM
I use the pure. I spray it on my boots and cap. Works good for me.

Lindseys Grandpa
12-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Sprayed on my boots during bow season one evening years ago, looked down and boots were covered with yellow jackets didn't do that again.

cathooker
12-10-2009, 04:38 PM
care to share?

Take several fresh doe tarsals and put them in a clean quart jart. Put in just enough pure vanilla extract to completely cover all the tarsals. Let sit for a week or so. Remove the tarsals and put them in zip loc bags. One tarsal per bag. Strain and put the vanilla that is left over in a spray bottle. Add an equal amount of water in the spray bottle. Freeze the tarsals. I use the spray on my boots and to freshen the tarsal. I make a drag out of the vanilla soaked tarsal. I shot this buck at 20 yards using it. Does the tarsals make the vanilla any more attractive to the deer? I don't know, but I like to experiment and when something works I'll use it until it quits working. We have killed a lot of deer with this concotion and a few others I have played around with. It does not work every time you go in the woods....nothing does....

leeledger
12-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Okay, I bought a spray bottle at the Dollar Store. It's pink. Really manly. I bought the real vanilla. I hope to try it this weekend.

THWACKG5
12-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Okay, I bought a spray bottle at the Dollar Store. It's pink. Really manly. I bought the real vanilla. I hope to try it this weekend.

You better get yourself some camo tape before you go in the woods with it!!!!!!! ::ke: :cheers:

farm7729
12-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Just curious... How is this legal and not considered baiting? Try not to jump all over me here ive just never heard of it, not trying to start a baiting debate here.

bastion25
12-10-2009, 11:19 PM
If you cant see it its legal . Not counting corn under leaves

Hunley
12-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Just curious... How is this legal and not considered baiting? Try not to jump all over me here ive just never heard of it, not trying to start a baiting debate here.

It isn't food placed there by man (i.e., ot something growing naturally). It's just like using doe pee or something in that it is a scent attractant. They can't eat it.

Rangerboats
12-11-2009, 09:28 AM
It works, I had bought some one time that if I am not mistakin, Harmon's Lures makes. It works....I sprayed several tree limbs on the trail walking into my stand in bow season one time, only to turn and look and see a good 8ptr licking every limb I had sprayed!!! Deer on the ground different story!!!!:mad::D

high tech. hunter
12-19-2009, 10:20 PM
OK I'm trying some in the a.m. Will spray my boots and some limbs on the trail to my ground blind and then on a tree I want the deer to stand next to in front of me :bounce:
Wife had some out making holiday cookies so I borrowed about 2 oz. and put in a small sprayer with water. Besides, I just ran out of doe pee. Will report back any results.

perchjerker
12-20-2009, 01:31 PM
I get mine off ebay. Its a great cover scent, especially during hot months when I sweat. Imitation does not last as long and has additives. It works great as a curitousity scent. You get two bottles on ebay for about $13 will last you years.

http://cgi.ebay.com/72oz-ORGANIC-PURE-Cake-Baking-VANILLA-EXTRACT_W0QQitemZ110471039587QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b8964a63

high tech. hunter
12-22-2009, 12:20 AM
I said I'd try it and report back. Used a 50/50 of water and vanilla a.m. and p.m. hunts yesterday on the ground. Put it on a tree 40 yds. in front of me with the wind in my face. Same thing happened on both hunts. A deer came up 5 yds. behind the tree I was sitting against, stomped and snorted then walked away. Never did see either of them.
So I guess it worked. Will try it again but will put it to my left or right not at 12 o'clock.

Chase1994
12-22-2009, 04:58 PM
i tried yesterday, nothing yet, but will def keep trying it.

madpegtod
12-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Tried it Monday. Had one snort about 4 times when it came across my trail. Wound that up for me

Jarred
12-23-2009, 11:51 AM
good question.

amicablerogue
12-23-2009, 07:36 PM
I tried it last Monday but no luck. The wind wasn't in the direction that I wanted. I will be trying it again this weekend. Hopefully I'll get to see it work and see how they react!

whitetail hunter
12-23-2009, 10:13 PM
i dont know if u ever used it butt the (c'mere deer) thats all it is is black walnut and vannilla ans water use it is scent killer spray it on corn heck i sprayed my stand down with it dont use high dollar c'mere deer if u dont believe me go to walmart and smell the buck juce u can mix up ur own fpr 2 dollars rether paying 20 for a name brand!!!!! and they love it on corn

RangerJ
12-23-2009, 10:17 PM
I have used it with good results in the past w/o water. The downside for me was yellow jackets love it . Since I am allergic to bee stings I stopped using it. But it did help.