ffl in ga

thetroll

i have a grandson stationed in afghanistan and soon there will be available a pistol commemorating their operation over there he wants to buy one but doesn't know how to go about shipping it back home ,will he have to ship it to someone with a ffl or can he ship it directly to his home in va where he is stationed ,his next duty station is going to be savannah ga,he is a ga resident .does anyone here know the proper procedure he needs to follow to be legal

Ole Fuzzy

Banned
Look at the BATF website for the FAQ's and regs. The information is there and will provide a better answer than conflicting answers on a bulletin board.

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
Actually it's the BATFE, Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives. If he's buying it and taking possession over there he may have a bunch of hoops to jump through; unless he just orders and pays for it there and then takes possession of the firearm in the states upon his return. He may need to talk to the customs folks over there to see what he needs to do to declare and then hand carry...it they will even allow that.

I agree, contact the ATF. You might even try a field office versus the Atlanta or another regional office. I've dealt with an agent out of the Macon office a few times and he's always been helpful.

I just handled the FFL application process for the company I work for. It hasn't been difficult just S-L-O-W, there's a rule and reg for everything. My (limited) understanding is he'll have to find someone with an Importer's License (which is different from your standard FFL) to bring the gun into the country. Good luck.

If it's his pistol already, there's a provision for shipping it back in his personal effects.

There is someone in his command structure who can give him the specifics.