Interesting information I just dug up on mountain lions

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Apparently there has NEVER been a documented case of melanism (black color) in a mountain lion/cougar/panther in the wild or in captivity.

Google "melanism rate mountain lion"

T

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Aint been documented cause they aint been seen.

Black you know. Only move on moonless nights. Scream just line a fox (oh sorry, woman) then run and hide till the next moonless night.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Maybe its like the Blue on a Bluebird.........the feathers are not even blue..:huh:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Sure is quiet in here.

T

HOGDOG76

Not arguing there is a black panther in georgia but there have been melanistic bobcats in florida and isnt there a black/dark phase jaguar.

Quercus Alba

Not arguing there is a black panther in georgia but there have been melanistic bobcats in florida and isnt there a black/dark phase jaguar.

yes, jaguars, bobcats, leopards.

Dr. Strangelove

All cats are grey in the dark.... :)

Depends on when you see them. My dark brown/light brown tiger pattern housecat goes INVISIBLE at night. He looks all black and is impossible to see unless he moves.

My opinion is folks are seeing dark coloration cats in low light, they look to be black.

Last edited:

robertyb

It is cause in Georgia they are not Mountain Lion/Cougars. They are BLACK PANTHERS.

Don't y'all know anything? :huh: :D

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Thought that was an Indigo Bunting?

They are blue too, but the ones we have here are Blue Birds, note they have a nice tannish Belly........I have never seen an indigo bunting, but they sure look cool too............their feathers are prolly not blue either:cool:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Same thing I've said ten thousand times, but no one wants to hear it. With tens of thousands of panthers/cougars/mountain lions killed throughout history, not a single one has ever been black. Not a single one. Ever. When I was growing up, there were several members of my family still living that grew up here in the mountains in the late 1800's and early 1900's when panthers were just another animal here. They were familiar with panthers like we are with bear and deer, and most of them had seen one, some of them had killed panthers. I never heard a single mention of a "black panther" from them , because they had never heard of one. They would have laughed at anyone talking about a black panther like we would at someone talking about seeing a purple deer. The idea of black panthers apparantly took hold after a generation of people who had never seen a live panther in the woods saw a black one in the jungle on TV or a movie, and assumed that panthers are black. I have read a lot of journals and books written by early explorers and settlers in the Southern US, and not a single one of them mentioned black panthers. They all mentioned the real, tan ones. Black leopards and jaguars exist, but they are rare even where they are native (all of which places are thousands of miles from here) compared to normal-colored ones. There has been only one documented case of a big black cat in the US. It was a small black leopard that came up on someone's porch in MO a few years ago after a tornado had freed it from captivity. It was tame, had no claws, and stayed on the porch until the animal control came.

HOGDOG76

Same thing I've said ten thousand times, but no one wants to hear it. With tens of thousands of panthers/cougars/mountain lions killed throughout history, not a single one has ever been black. Not a single one. Ever. When I was growing up, there were several members of my family still living that grew up here in the mountains in the late 1800's and early 1900's when panthers were just another animal here. They were familiar with panthers like we are with bear and deer, and most of them had seen one, some of them had killed panthers. I never heard a single mention of a "black panther" from them , because they had never heard of one. They would have laughed at anyone talking about a black panther like we would at someone talking about seeing a purple deer. The idea of black panthers apparantly took hold after a generation of people who had never seen a live panther in the woods saw a black one in the jungle on TV or a movie, and assumed that panthers are black. I have read a lot of journals and books written by early explorers and settlers in the Southern US, and not a single one of them mentioned black panthers. They all mentioned the real, tan ones. Black leopards and jaguars exist, but they are rare even where they are native (all of which places are thousands of miles from here) compared to normal-colored ones. There has been only one documented case of a big black cat in the US. It was a small black leopard that came up on someone's porch in MO a few years ago after a tornado had freed it from captivity. It was tame, had no claws, and stayed on the porch until the animal control came.

WHAT DID YOUR KIN FOLK SAY ABOUT BLACK BOBCATS:pop:

GA DAWG

Apparently there has NEVER been a documented case of melanism (black color) in a mountain lion/cougar/panther in the wild or in captivity.

Google "melanism rate mountain lion"

T
A black panther is different::gone:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
The cougar (Puma concolor), also known as puma, mountain lion, mountain cat, catamount or panther, depending on the region, is a mammal of the Felidae family, native to the Americas.

Mike

but it don't say nothing about a black panther.......:bounce:

T

Throwback

Chief Big Taw

HERESY!!! OFF WITH HIS HEAD!! :pop:

T

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
WHAT DID YOUR KIN FOLK SAY ABOUT BLACK BOBCATS:pop:

Nothing. But I've seen photos of them and read documented instances of them occuring. Not so with mountain lions.

HERESY!!! OFF WITH HIS HEAD!! :pop:

T

You'll have to get in line. There are a few in front of you. :bounce:

Dr_Science

I'm interested in where this thread goes. My wife swears she saw a big cat one night last week in West Georgia, and as anxious as I've been to prove her a kook, her story has so far held up. She says it had a tail approximately the length of its body, and that it was about 6 feet tip to tip, and that there was no eye shine when it got in the headlights, unlike a deer. She knows what a bobcat looks like and all that. The place where she saw it is about 20 miles straight line distance from where the panther was shot by the black powder hunter last year. She has, however, iterated time and again that its color was closest to that of a deer, but I'll let y'all know if she comes across a black one.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly

Noone has ever killed a Bigfoot and put it on a slab either...........but they do exist:cool:

tiger1996

:stir::stir:All right I can prove both exist.I have a bigfoot and a black panther on my property.For 100 bucks each I will let yall come hunt them.Thats the cheapest trophy fee ever.Any takers????:stir::stir::stir: