Garmin E-TREX ??

STRAIGHTARROW

I use the Legend model and like it but...under a tree canopy the signal is frequently lost.

Has anybody actually compared the HC model against the standard LEGEND model under tree canopy to see if the increased sensitivity of the HC model can hold the signal better?

I'm considering making the purhase while they're on sale, but don't want to throw money away.

Appreciate any info..thanks.

Coastie

I just retired my etrex series and bit the bullet and got one of the newer Oregon series units, the 401T to be exact. I am quite impressed with its ability to maintain a fix under canopy, in the house and inside the cab of the truck without it being mounted in the window. It also has a great built in mapping feature and the ability for more. My only dissatifaction has been with the difficulty I have in using it alon with my topo usa 8.0 mapping program. Most of that problem,I believe, is operator headspace so possibly that will be overcome with experience. My wife found mine online at some GPS store and it was about $150.00 less than what Garmin sells them for on their website. I never thought I would be too impressed with the mapping ability of a handheld GPS unit, but I find the face of this one to be large enough to be very useful. Hope this helps.

Stick

I've got a E-trex Vista HCX and had not problems losing signal in thick canopy, my truck, or inside buildings. I have been very happy with the unit!

whitworth

The old systems ....

lost the signal when under a tree canopy.
I understand all Garmins with an "H" are suppose to work under canopies. New products have the "H" in their name designation.

GrouseHiker

If you get the enhanced version, let us know if it's any better under the trees.

huntingonthefly

Gone but not forgotten
Garmin 60 csx or 76 csx. no problems in thick canopy (ty ty bays for example) - even standing still- finds satellites quick when turned on. most of my friends purchased these too. started out with the rino models- upgraded to these. if you are a computer whiz- watch out- comes with a card and all.

I've had several different Garmin units over the years. All of them would loose signal in thick cover until I bought the E-Trex Summit HCx. It has NEVER lost signal in the thickest cover I can find. I also bought an 8 gb mini SD card and downloaded the entire state of Georgia and parts of Fl. and AL. I ordered the package deal from Cabela's that included the Topo Map. I works great if you ever hunt on unfamiliar land. Finding ridgelines and water is a simple task with the maps installed. I LOVE my unit but think I would be just as satisfied with the LEGEND which is a few bucks cheaper.

Sargent

I have the HC and have only had issues under canopies when it is heavily overcast. At that point it lags a bit, but isn't bad at all.

STRAIGHTARROW

If you get the enhanced version, let us know if it's any better under the trees.

I did...and it is.
Purchased the Venture HC model and took them both on a field test together. Same waypoints, same woods, one unit in my right hand, one unit in my left.

The HC is far superior to the Legend, never lost a signal and acquired it much faster. I will say that on those times when the signal was not lost, the legend was for the most part, just as accurate.
With marked points in the deep woods (a can or small piece of paper on the ground) I would walk a route with my eyes directly on the units and the ground immediately in front of my feet only, not looking out in front of me.
When the units said I had arrived I would look up and find that I was always with 20 ft. of my mark...most time 12-15 feet, occasionally within 4 ft.
That's close enough to find my tree stand in deep woods in the dark!

Bottom line...get the high sensitivity version for a few bucks more, it's worth it.

seaweaver

I don't know about the sat reception...but...
I was w/ a fella who had the Etrx and what bothered me most about it was the apparent lack of a good Track.
We had good sat coverage, but I would not want to follow the back track image I saw on the screen. It was vague. Not what I want if there is but one narrow path out of a swamp or ridge line.

I use the Rhino and the "trail"/"track" it saves is well defined and very accurate. If you drop something you can walk right back on it.

I use this feature as my units have basic maps and I define perimeters and land features by tracks saved.

The Rhino has excellent sat reception, and the location transmitter from peer to peer is the bomb.

cw

GrouseHiker

...what bothered me most about it was the apparent lack of a good Track....

You may want to look at your track settings. Mine is set on "Auto," and the unit decides whether or not a new point is needed. You could probably set yours a bit finer to establish track points more often.