Aftermarket Turkey Chokes ?

RJY66

I just bought a Rem 870 shotgun that came with a standard modified Rem Choke. I need to get a choke for turkey hunting which I am new at.

I need to know what are the advantages of chokes like the compnchoke or kicks vs just getting the turkey choke that Rem sells for the 870. The constrictions of the various chokes look about the same, so what do I get for paying twice as much or more for the specialized choke? Recoil reduction? Are the patterns THAT much better?

S

spraggins

to be perfectly honest, your chances at a good hunting pattern are good w/ any of them. all gun/choke/shell combinations will shoot differently, so patterning is a must. the ported chokes might reduce recoil a little bit, but they have considerably more muzzle blast. as for patterns being any better, that remains to be seen. i have several chokes that shoot good, some ported, some not. all you can do is put it on paper and see. if it doesn't do what you are looking for, keep experimenting. i would try something in the .665 range w/ some good 3'' # 5's, to start. is your 870 an express, special purpose, or wingmaster? what length is the barrel?

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I have used undertaker choke tubes in 2 different remingtons now. I am good out to 40 yards.

Gadget

I've got two Browning BPS that I've tried about 5 or 6 different chokes in and the Truglo TG-156 has patterned the best out of both guns. That's the strutstopper, not the gobblestopper. They redesigned the strutstopper this year, mine's the older model. I'm sure the new one is good too, but really it's going to boil down to what your gun likes best and any of the extended turkey chokes on the market will throw a good pattern for turkey hunting.

Limbshaker

GONetwork Member
:cool: I've also got an 870........I've tried several, the Jellyhead has done the best job for me.
But, it could be totally different in yours.

git'r

S

spraggins

rjy66, look at the barrel( removed from the action) and see if the tube is slick. i sent one to a smith recently because the inside of the forcing cone and barrel was very rough, and it shot a terrible pattern using various chokes. curtis wilbanks took that express barrel and cut it to 23'' and lengthened the forcing cone and polished the bore to a mirror finish. now, you can screw any choke in it, and it will shoot a beautiful pattern! if the barrel ain't right, the choke will not perform good. i'm not sure why barrels that are rough like that get out the door, but i see more of them as of late. i would check w/ gundocc about getting it fixed, he can fit a choke to your specific barrel according to what shells you want to shoot.

Nga.

Mad Max Winchester Surpreme 3" #4's Rem 11-87. Forcing comb lengthened and back bored adjustable fiber optic sights Jellyheads @ 50yds