Game Wardens

UWGduck

Has anyone ever met a friendly Game Warden? I have ran across many game wardens in my time and they are always being "Shady" like I am always up to no good. Last weekend I was riding my four wheeler to scout a spot and ran into a game warden. I was in orange and camo but no gun. He was giving me poopooheadpoopooheadpoopoohead about not having my licence and even followed me when I went scouting. I guess he thought I hid my gun. I have a lifetime licence and I felt like I was getting 20 questions. ( It was at the house in my wallet)Maybe it is because I am young but i hate it. If only some could be friendly and not harrass people. Anyway off my soap boxjust had to vent a little. :banginghe

Toliver

Not all are grumpy. And those that seem that way may just be cynical because of the continuous stream of lies that they're told.

gabowman

I can honestly say that I havent met any that was a real pain in the rear with me. Most have been nothing but nice and checked me like they are getting paid to do. Guess I've been lucky, but I have been checked by a few that I've been told was really something else. Guess I was checked on their good days. ;) BTW, I just met one of the two we have in my county last Saturday. He'd been here for 5 years and I didnt know we had more than the one. I guess there's just too much land and not enough wardens to see them all. Usually I just see them in town.....guess they are crossing from one side of the county to the other.

GB

UWGduck

Ok I did met one that was friendly at lake juliette during goose season. He checked us and that was it. :D(I like the edit from my first post kinda funny)

H

HT2

Over the years......

We've met a few in Hancock......

I guess we're lucky......We've been very lucky to have good one's.......I mean, we don't see them that often, but when we do, they've been very nice...... :)

Toliver

It's really nice when you have their home and cell phone numbers!! :D You know when you can get away with stuff. :bounce:

Big Al

I've only ever been checked by the game warden duck hunting at Jackson lake. There are two older gents that have checked us so many times they don't even bother anymore. And they have been nice every time they have done it. But there was this one lady warden who I think had a major case of man hater syndrome, or it was that time of extreme mood swings. But the ones like that really make the ones of us that are the good law- abiding sportsmen feel like criminals. I know that they probably recieve a bunch of crap, but you can at least give people the benefit of the doubt until you do find something wrong. Although I do feel that most of the time it's that inferiority complex at it's best.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
There is one that checks license on the hooch up from West Point in the spring. They check every year when the hybrids get running. He is an older gentleman that has always been nice. He will let you know if anybody is catching them, etc. He did have a younger guy with him one time that didn't say anything. He was running the motor and looked at you from behind his sunglasses and didn't say anything.

short stop

SHADY YES SHADY I saw the man on my place a few years ago -he spotted me with his binos and headed my way ''I was in th middle of a 50 acre cut over with briars and privet hedge 10+ ft tall " needless to say he looked like he'd been in a fight with a rabid house cat by the time he got to my tree he was :whip: I was in tears laughin at him -- he though for some reason I was up to no good ---and was kinda hot about me laughin at him ! asked how I got there '' I told him the road was only 30 yrds from him the whole time! ::ke: :D I WAS STILL LAUGHIN ---- he did not walk out the same way :bounce: SS

leadoff

GONetwork Member
When I was 14 I killed this little doe on morning. When I came out of the woods, our local warden was on the edge of our field waiting for me to come out. (I believe it was his first year as our warden. I believe his name was Rocky? He was only in our area for a few years before he took a position somewhere in North GA, I believe. I think he died a few years back in an ATV accident while on duty.) My dad drove up at about the same time. We all went in and got the doe loaded up, he checked my license, and we sat and talked a little while. As he drove off, he told me that I should put something on top of the deer. I asked him why. He said, "So she won't fly off when you and your dad are driving down the road." He and my dad got a good laugh, but I didn't think it was funny at the time!!!

Nick_T

Banned
Every one that I have met while hunting at Altamaha WMA has been more than friendly. The one that works around the Crisp Co. area is a super nice guy also. Our local warden out of Peach Co. is a nice person as long as your not up to no-good. With my job, I work with him in the enforcement of EPA burning violations. I've never had anything but good dealings with him, professionally or questions outside of the job.

On the flip side, I ain't met one on Lake Seminole that I would give you a plug nickel for. Seemes to be some of the rudest folks I've ever dealt with. Guilty until you prove yourself innocent.

Guess it's like anything else, your gonna run up on some bad apples whereever ya go.

Nick T

DSGB

All the ones I've ever met have been very nice. Never had one that was rude or that assumed I was doing anything illegal. I had one check my license as I was putting the boat in one day. He was extremely nice, gave me a report on the fish, and even gave my daughter a teddy bear wearing a life jacket.

Rebel 3

I did my senior internship last summer with DNR Law Enforcement. ALL of the game wardens I met and worked with were very nice. I have nothing bad to say about any of them, and good things to say about all that I was around. Nobody is perfect, but the guys I were around really tried their best. If they seem shady to you it is probably because they have to be suspicious in their line of duty as in most other types of law enforcement. In most instances when checking individuals, the individuals showed appreciation for what the game wardens were doing, unfortunatly some people dont appreciate the game wardens and the job they do. They have a wide range of duties to perform in an understaffed, underresourced, and large enviroment. Be thankful for the job the wardens do because they are out there working to protect outdoorsman and the natural resources that outdoorsman use, while the outdoorsman are out there reaping the benefits. ;)

Jody Hawk

The majority of the ones that I have met have been rude and will pop off a smart remark in a minute. I could give you several examples of things that they have said to me. One was when I killed my big gobbler two years ago. I killed him at 4 p.m. in the evening so the next morning I took the legs to the local warden to let him see them. This was a nice bird with sharp 1 1/2" spurs and since this particular warden is a turkey hunter himself I thought that he'd get a kick out of seeing them. On several occasions we had good conversation about turkey hunting but this day he looks at them and when I told him that I'd killed him the evening before he ask me if I went down there and shot him off of the roost. That was a comment that was totally uncalled for. There is one warden at Cedar Creek WMA who is a fine fellow though. I told him of a food plot that they had let grow back up and the next week when I went in there it had been mowed and reseeded.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
All the wardens I've met have been pretty nice men & women.

However, the states wildlife biologists are all a bunch of jerks.

rip18

Wow!!!!

State rangers & biologists are just like everybody else. I've met a bunch and am friends with a bunch. Overall, the interactions I've had, whether professionally or as a hunter, have been positive. Yes, I've had some interactions that haven't been as good - in some cases I know that the guy was having a bad day. Other times, they were uncomfortable in the situation they were in.

From an observer's stand point, most of the time, the LEOs attitude is driven by the other person's attitude. It goes back to the story about the one fellow who moved to a new town & asked what the people in the new town were like. He said the people in the town where he came from were great folks; he was told that the people in the new town were likewise. When the second fellow, who said the people in his old town were jerks, asked, he was told that the people in the new town were likewise.

We often find what we look for.

Kudos to the rangers, biologists, & support staff who aren't paid all that well but work hard for not only the citizens' common good, but also for our natural resources long-term good! Thanks!

L

Lucky Chandler

Biologists

Awwww, Jeff, jest 'cause one of 'em won't say "baaaaa", and don't like Koolaid don't mean they're ALL jerks ... ::gone: :bounce:

JBowers

However, the states wildlife biologists are all a bunch of jerks.
No more Black & Tans for you!

I second Jeff!!!!!!!
No more Glenlivet for you!

Next time, I am going to cook a special dish just for you both!;)

CAL

Thanks JBowers for the quick reply.Whatever you cook for those two guys cook it in " :yeah: croton oil".