GMC Sonoma HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jmfauver

My truck started acting funny this morning.I would place the key in the ignition and when I turned it nothing happened( and I mean nothing) No lights on the dash no nothing.I reseated the fuses and it started.It did this 3 or 4 times today out of the blue.I did get the Battery and Alternator checked and both are good...Any ideas?:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe

Thanks,
Jason

12gamag

maybe your ignition switch is going out??

jmfauver

Alot of folks think it may be the switch,but no one can find the cause,we checked for loose wires ( my big feet always kick the switch) and since then it has not happened again...I will see what happens this morning when I leave...

repoman34

Banned
you say you reseated the fuses, and had to do that 3-4 times today. Could very well be that the fuse block itself is bad, or you've got a bad ignition fuse. Could be the ignition switch starting to go. Could be a loose wire somewhere, or loose ground. Depending on what year the truck is, from about 99 and up they've all got transponder keys. If the key is damaged, that could be your problem, or if you have one equipped with a factory alarm, they've had a bit of problems out of those over the years in the Sonomas and S10's.

KDarsey

Don't know if you know this (or if yours has it) but these had 2 'fusible links'....one coming off the back of the alternator and one off the starter. It is a short piece of wire,maybe 10-12 inches long that is designed to act as a fuse, you can buy these at the parts stores. ( don't know what years had this, mine was an '89, 4.3)
I had the same symptoms as you....turn the switch and it was as if there was no battery, I could wiggle the battery cable to starter wire and get power....sometimes.
You might replace these and see what happens since they are cheap.

hoochfisher

Banned
you said the battery tested fine, but did anyine check to ensure the terminals were tight?

i had this problem with an s10 i had when i was 16. the teminals came loose all the time just from vibrations.

jmfauver

All really great suggestions....I spoke to a guy today who had the same issue and his Sonoma is the same year as mine....He advised that the issue for him was resolved with cleaning/replacing the battery cables....I am going to try these quick/cheap fixes first,before going more in depth...If you have anymore ideas keep them coming....Oh and by the way the truck did not do it at all today....

jmfauver

Finally think it is fixed...The fix you ask,

The negative terminal was so corroded inside the screw socket ( side mounted cables)....It seams that someone claimed to have tested the battery but never did.....Now they are looking for work...