Recoil Issues

trainmstr

Recently told by doc that shoulder can no longer handle alot of recoil from gun. Looking to go to a different cal. for deer hunting. Don't know what would be best, .270, 30-06, .300? Does anyone know the recoil stats for these or similar shells?
Thanks...

bowbuck

Recently told by doc that shoulder can no longer handle alot of recoil from gun. Looking to go to a different cal. for deer hunting. Don't know what would be best, .270, 30-06, .300? Does anyone know the recoil stats for these or similar shells?
Thanks...

I would think that you would want to think .243,.260, 7mm-08 range. an 06 or .300 has plenty of recoil, what do you shoot now that is out of the question??:hair:

Buzz

Here is a chart I made a while back for the forum. It's recoil sorted by energy.

Recoil2.jpg

You'd be hard pressed to beat a .243 Winchester for a very light recoiling deer hunting rifle. Loaded with 85g Barnes TSX or 100g Nosler Partitions (amongst others) it will easily do the job and the recoil is far lower than the three calibers you mentioned. Other good choices would be a .25-06 Remington, .260 Rem, and 7mm/08 but they are all going to kick considerably harder than the .243 Winchester - especially when you get into the heavier 140g bullets out of the .260 Remington and 140g + loadings in the 7mm/08. While 13.3 ft/lbs of recoil energy doesn't sound like much - to recoil sensitive folks, such as my wife, it feels considerably heavier than the less than 9 lbs the .243 Win produces.

WTM45

How recoil energy is delivered to the shooter is of utmost importance.
Total rig weight, stock fit, design and chosen pad all work together to mitigate the felt recoil.
What works for others might not work for you. It can be a trial and error type of experiment.
You might be suprised how "large" a caliber/cartridge you can handle with the right setup.

FishinMech

6mm or 243 has less kick than a 308 and will take anything down even and elk if shot right as for any animal on any caliber.

stev

Banned
Recoil dosent even effect a person shooting at a deer .I dont recall feeling recoil shooting a deer .Just target shooting i feel the recoil .If you gotta think about recoil with rifle you hunt deer with .its too big of a calibur for you .Thinking about the recoil while shooting a whitetail deer ,chances you might miss too.Sounds like your recoil shy .I only feel the recoil while im shooting at targets ,not shooting deer.
Just my 2 cents worth

Buzz

Depending on the extent of his shoulder problem, it could cause damage Stev. My father had a neck injury later in life and a .243 Winchester was about the most gun he could handle without risking injury. My .270 Win was too much for him to handle after the injury, and he pretty much gave up shooting shotguns.

trainmstr - what is wrong with your shoulder?

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
Reduced recoil loads will let you shoot almost any chambering out there......My brother and I just gave my 15 year old nephew a 350 Rem Mag for Christmas.....I worked up a reduced recoil load with 200gr Hornady's that produces about 17lbs of recoil.

The 7/08 I load for my buddy's son produces about 7lbs with 120gr TSX's.

Bruz

stev

Banned
Depending on the extent of his shoulder problem, it could cause damage Stev. My father had a neck injury later in life and a .243 Winchester was about the most gun he could handle without risking injury. My .270 Win was too much for him to handle after the injury, and he pretty much gave up shooting shotguns.

trainmstr - what is wrong with your shoulder?
yup your right . .Had to go back and read .
My Bad .

ironhead7544

Recoil is light on a full sized 260 Rem. If you handload you can use a lighter load for the rifle you have now. just use the right bullet for the velocity.

stev

Banned
If i had time to reload myself i would .I use to many moons ago .Then a found a boy to do my reloading for me .anything i want .So far its worked out good for me .He is disabled ,so he does mine and others i know of .

bigworm1922

Or get a AR10 (.308win) Less kick then prob anything on that list. Well unless you get an AK or AR15. But with the 308 you have alot more take down power and better range.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
What do you shoot now?

T

seaweaver

I think Bigworm is singling his preference, but pointing at a bigger solution....Any of the recommended cal in a semi-auto will have less recoil.
If you have box stands w/ gun rests you can add more weight to the gun(s) to help mitigate recoil.
If you stalk or climb, the 3030 is light on carrying and recoil and allows faster followups shots than a .243...shoots far on factory ammo and farther yet w/the LEs.

cw

Sargent

I have shoulder issues from time to time. .30-30 with 150gr Core Lokts or 160gr. Leverevolution has no effect on my shoulder.