P90x....

Booner Killa

Alright fellas, I'm gonna lose this extra weight I've managed to put on the last couple years. The gym three days/week is probably out due to our newborn. I want something convenient! I've heard that p90X is the way to go from a lot of different folks. I looked at their website and it seems like a legit program! Anybody here have any experience with it? I want the information on it that doesn't come from the website. Do you need any equipment to start for example weights, some sort of mat, a pull up bar, etc.....How hard is the nutrition plan to follow? What are your thoughts? Thanks guys!!!

lab

do a search on here for it, there are several people on here that have talked about.

trents99

I think it's a good program if you can get through the first few weeks. I watched a few minutes of each before and and thought it was gonna be a piece of cake. About 20 minutes into the first day I was failing on push up reps. Also it's pretty tough on the joints, especially plyometrics. There are alternatives to that one though if you need to ease into it

It's pretty intense as they skip right into the next exercise from the last, only a couple of 30 second breaks in each one so make sure you can pause quickly if you need an extra breather when you start.

Do a search on wikipedia and it will tell you everything you need to get started. I got by on dumb bells, a bench, and my power rack for pull ups.

I can't comment on the nutrition aspect as I have my own designs that I've stuck with over the years.

It's a convenient workout for sure but be advised each one lasts about an hour and once they throw ab-ripper in there it's another 20 minutes.

FireDoc

It felt like going back to the first week of basic training w/o D.I.'s yelling @ me. Total muscle break down.

Jasper

Booner,

I've been doing P90X for a year now. It's the real thing. I was a bit dubious at first as so many infomercials are bogus, but I love it. It's tough at first, but keep at it. After a month you'll look back and realize you can do it fine. Ab Ripper was the toughest on me but I can knock it out fairly easily now. I have a gym in my basement but all you really need are dumbells or fitness bands, a pull up bar and a place to do ab work. The DVDs are great and will keep you motivated. After a year I now do it every other week and my old weight program the other week. Just more muscle confusion and breaks things up. The nutrition program is not that difficult to follow. I made up a spreadsheet to keep up with it at the beginning and it really helped.

I highly recommend it. My 12 and 15 year old sons do it as well. It's a great way for kids to work out IMO.

Best of luck! :cool:

moto142

did the program last year and fixing to start again in februray. it is a good program but time consuming for sure.

shaggybill

I just started it. A girl from school convinced me to do the yoga DVD with her. Before we started I was thinking "psh, yoga...this will be easy!" Holy moley, it kicked my tail! It does a good job of working muscles you never knew you had. We're doing pylometrics tonight. I have a feeling I won't be able to move in the morning.

shaftslinger24

It's for real. The only problem was due to me. It was just difficult to do nearly every day because of time constraints. However, if you are motivated, you can make it happen, and without a doubt, it will work!!

7 point

Its great I do some of the exercizes at the gym with my buddy and we like it

bnew17

you can lose weight but you will lose strength as well....at least thats waht my brother told me and he's a personal trainer

Jasper

you can lose weight but you will lose strength as well....at least thats waht my brother told me and he's a personal trainer

What's his reasoning behind that statement?

rjcruiser

because you dont use any heavy weights, its more of a cardiovascular workout based around non stop sets like push ups and pull ups.

That is a true/not true statement.

If you are a guy who lifts all the time and goes for bulk, yes, you'll lose that.

If you're a couch potato and don't do anything, you'll not lose any strenght.

Also, based on the amount of weight your free weights are, you'll can somewhat customize the program.

slider1585

its a good program to get into shape. i have it and we have done it at the firehall where i work. we never followed the diet plan but you will feel and see results. its all about staying moving and keeping your heart rate up.

FishingAddict

I'm a nationally certified personal trainer, and can say that, after trying this program- he is wrong.

Unless of course someone ONLY does heavy strength training (ie 1-3 reps at failure with 3-5 minutes rest between sets), in which case the lack of that kind of training while you do P90x will result in some loss of progress.

The program will also train some muscles that you won't have trained during a normal routine, resulting in greater strength from the supporting muscles of lift.

In addition, some of the lifts do require you to lift 8-10 times to failure, which will result in strength gains (as well as size gains).

P90x is the most complete work out program I have ever seen- you will see increases of size, strength, and endurance of your muscles, better balance, better flexibility, and better cardiovascular endurance -as well as peeling fat off of you if you eat a good diet.

I'd hate to lose business to it, but not many people can stick to it for a long period of time because it gets a little boring after 3 months.

it is the best program out there....Bladerunner55 doing it....Me....tried...but I injured my wrist when I was younger and never grew correctly so I can't do 60% of the routine!!!...but it felt like Academy!

FishingAddict

it is the best program out there....Bladerunner55 doing it....Me....tried...but I injured my wrist when I was younger and never grew correctly so I can't do 60% of the routine!!!...but it felt like Academy!

I assume you are having push up issues?

Have you tried to grab onto a elevated bar for each hand to do them (like dumbells?)