what do you think about the remington 770

ChristopherA.King

I was thinking of getting one and was wondering if anyone had had a problem with them. Seems like a good gun for the price. Thanks

Doyle

It's just an upgraded version of the failed 710. Still has the pressed-in barrel and I believe it still has the plastic receiver parts that the 710 had.

For less money you can get either the Stevens 200 or the Marlin XR7 and get much more gun.

Sterlo58

It's just an upgraded version of the failed 710. Still has the pressed-in barrel and I believe it still has the plastic receiver parts that the 710 had.

For less money you can get either the Stevens 200 or the Marlin XR7 and get much more gun.

X2 or save a little and get a good used model 700
Another good option is the Weatherby Vanguard. Savage makes very accurate dependable reasonably priced rifles as well.

Lead Poison

Because you asked and no offense to anyone who owns one but, I believe the Remington 770s and 710s are pieces of junk Remington should be ashamed to have put their name on.

MUCH better rifles for the money are the following:

1. Savage 110s
2. Marlin XL7s
3. Weatherby Vanguards
4. Howa 1500s
5. Stevens 200s

castaway

X'S 2 on the Savage model 110s they are extremely accurate and dependable guns. You will not be dissapointed. I would steer clear of the Remington 770.

ChristopherA.King

Man I am glad I ask. I was all set to get the 770 I guess I thought just becouse it was a remington it would be quality but the was it sounds is I was way off base. I have been looking into the stevens 200 just have to deside what cal. I want. I have been useing 30-06 for along time but a good friend of mine swears by his .243 anyone have any suggestion on the cal.

Doyle

anyone have any suggestion on the cal

In my opinion, the ideal deer/hog caliber for anywhere in the southeast is th 7mm-08. It has more knockdown power than a .243 due to the larger bullet (140grns) but only a tad more recoil. It handles ranges out to beyond 300 yds. There are certainly more powerful cartridges out there but I think it has the best combination of power and shootability.

hoochfisher

Banned
i have a 770 in .06 i got as a christmas gift. i like it so far. i have put 15 rounds through it and have had no problems from it. 4 rounds got the scope dailed in and the rest where me just getting used to the gun. i have mine grouping at 1.25" at 100 yards.

the main issue i have heard with this gun is the bolt is sloppy. i thought the same at first. out of the box the bolt is bone dry. i oiled it and after the rounds i put through it and just working the bolt some it has improved greatly.

i'm completly happy with it. even though it was a gift, i would still purchase one myslef with no hesitation at all.

gkdir

I'm going to agree with most everybody else here, in the fact that you can definately do better for less money. But if thats what ya got, then run with it. I know for a fact ya can dial most of them in to stay within 1 1/2" to 2" group at 100yds, and since venison tastes alot better than target paper,,no problem.

ratlird

I have a 710 in 243 and while I won't call it a piece of junk I'm sure not going to say it's great. My biggest complaint was getting the bolt action to operate easier which it does now. I bought it for my grandson's first gun but now I'm looking at the Marlin in a 308. It's like the old saying you get what you pay for and I guess I did. It does the job but like others have said it's a poor excuse for a Remington.

deernbass

I have the 770 in 243 and it has improved alot from the 710. my dad has the 710 in 7mm magnum and it SUCKS, but my 243 is one of the most accurate guns in our safe. i was hitting the 6 inch metal targets at 450 yd every time. it also carries vey easy and puts the deer down.

biggdogg

for about the same money, you can get the savage 110 or 111 w/o the accu-trigger. and while i'm sure you'll get opinions otherwise, savage's w/o the accu-trigger are still very accurate guns. my son has a 111 in .243 w/o the a/t and i can get 3/4" groups at 100 yards with 100 grain core-lokts.

12gamag

had a chance to shoot a 770-my conclusion was-cheap junk...cant believe remington would put there name on the rifle...

get a savage or weatherby vangaurd-I have a vangaurd .308 that I get 1/2 and smaller groups all day long with handloads....

ChristopherA.King

Sounds like I will not be going with the remington. I am sure it would do fine for the money but I have taken the advice and looked into the stevens 200's I think that will be my choice but just not sure till I get a chance to put my hands on one. Hmmm not what scope to choose?