2 stupid questions

IdRatherBHunting

#1 Why do you need a scope on a turkey gun? What is the purpose?

#2 When do you really start scouting for birds. How close before the season starts?

S

spraggins

i've never 'needed' a scope on a turkey gun. i may one day, as my eyesight won't be 20/20 forever. there have been several occasions when a scope would have been a hindrance instead of a help. i try to eliminate extra weight and don't carry unnecessary items. also, i'm pretty rough on a shotgun...they are tools and i treat my turkey guns as such. i have used my old wingmaster as a crutch, a boat paddle, and quite regularly to beat the briars back while in hot pursuit. i'm sure i would destroy a scope in a short period of time, plus, i couldn't shoot flying or running critters near as well. w/ that said, a scope is very handy for centering patterns, as most shotguns will not shoot exactly where the bead points, especially w/ a super tight pattern. i use rifle sights on my turkey guns and have pretty good luck. i scout for birds anytime i'm not asleep. i look for them yr round.

AliBubba

I use adjustable fiber optic sights on my turkey gun. No need for a scope.
I start early turkey scouting and shed-hunting in February. I REALLY start scouting early March since food sources change turkey patterns.

Al33

Never used a scope and hope I never have a need for one.

Scouting, I do very litle of it. Yes, I make mental notes during the Fall from my observations, but when it comes to Spring, I just go and listen begginning with opening day. Fortunately, I know there will be turkies on the lands I hunt and that's all I care about. Perhaps I am missing something, but never felt the need for pre season scouting, short of a day or two before the opener.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Being from the old school, I am a pointer with a shotgun and use a sope on the rifle.

If the shotgun stock fits you, you will need nothing more than a front bead.

I'm with Al on the scouting. Wait til he gobbles and then invest your time

dutchman

I'm gonna take the opposite side of this discussion regarding scopes on turkey guns.

If you have a "pure" turkey shotgun, one that is only used for turkeys, and it's tricked out with a specialized choke that will make that thing shoot a really tight pattern, a miss is really easy, especially at close range. The most frequent cause of this, IMO, is a failure to keep one's head down on the stock in order to achieve a good sight picture with the bead on the bird's neck. A scope will eliminate this problem for you. If you're looking through a properly sighted-in scope and the reticle is centered on the target (the bird's neck) you're in good shape if he's in effective range. No worry about lining up a front and rear sight, no worry about keeping the bead where it needs to be, etc.

The down side to using a scope on a turkey gun is that it may be a bit more difficult to get that needed sight picture quickly.

It all boils down to personal preference, however. I have two turkey guns. One is equipped with a scope, the other is not. Guess which one I carry most of the time?

gobblergitter

The only reason I put a scope on a shotgun was to get my cheek bone off the stock of an 835 Ulti Mag. I got tired of my face being bruised every time I shot it. I got rid of the shotgun and scope.

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
turkey scopes and early scouting

I`m going to have to agree with al33 and Mr. Holt on this one. I`ve seen turkeys change their patterns from year to year but I have never seen spring turkeys hold to winter patterns. As for the scope question, its not for me. I have always been a pointer also but I think I will try the fiber-optic sights this year. HH

Jody Hawk

As far as my private land, there's no need to scout. I pretty much know the roosting areas and they'll be there. I do like to get out and walk and look for signs though. Around the end of next month I'll start going and listening to them waking up the new day. It just gets the blood to pumping.:bounce:

R Smith

I am also going to have to take the apparently unpopular side to the scope issue. My turkey gun is used exclusively for just that.... turkey hunting. I have had a lot of work done on it and the pattern is so tight I have missed birds up close. My furthest shot was 51 steps, but that was a long time ago and I haven't taken a shot over 20 yards in about 18 years. Most of mine are inside of 10 yards. With a scope I can get the most dense part of my pattern exactly where I want it.
Dosen't leave much of the head for a trophy, but hey, I don't miss any more either.

GrandSlamHunter

I don't use a scope, but I may soon. The sights are getting more and more out of focus as I age. A friend put a scope on his turkey gun last year and really likes it, but recommends a 1X or 1.5X. Higher magnification reduces your field of view too much. The scope is just for clarity and accuracy.

GSH

short stop

#1 because you cant see no more ---A friend o mine '' in his late 70s uses one .
#2 I really look for sign2 weeks up to openin day ---birds roam a good bitand change pattern drastically the last 30 days before season opens

Lumpkin Hunter

I have one turkey gun with a scope and another with out a scope. It is just a personal preference as far as I am concerned. If you put a scope on a tight shot gun it will help alot at close range but I would recommend no higher than 2X magnification. I would also recommend going with the Simmons Prodiamond or a scope with a round center reticle. I am considering putting a Halo sight on my turkey gun that does not have a scope. It is not tapped for a scope but I do have a saddle mount for it.

Scouting for me is just before the season and it only involves looking around for food sources that are left, droppings or scratchings. As someone else said turkeys are just turkeys and they change their patterns a lot in the spring due to food sources available.

good luck

Arrow Flinger

I don't use a scope but a red dot on my turkey gun. I love it. I went to it when I missed a bird that came in and by the time it was in range, I was shooting in a very odd position. With the red dot, if the dot is on the target, that is where the shot hits.

As far as scouting, in the spring, turkeys change their feeding patterns very often according to when green up starts. I do very little before a week or so before season opens. Creek bottoms are usually the first place to start greening up so I usually start my scouting there.

Limbshaker

GONetwork Member
dutchman said:
I'm gonna take the opposite side of this discussion regarding scopes on turkey guns.

If you have a "pure" turkey shotgun, one that is only used for turkeys, and it's tricked out with a specialized choke that will make that thing shoot a really tight pattern, a miss is really easy, especially at close range. The most frequent cause of this, IMO, is a failure to keep one's head down on the stock in order to achieve a good sight picture with the bead on the bird's neck. A scope will eliminate this problem for you. If you're looking through a properly sighted-in scope and the reticle is centered on the target (the bird's neck) you're in good shape if he's in effective range. No worry about lining up a front and rear sight, no worry about keeping the bead where it needs to be, etc.

The down side to using a scope on a turkey gun is that it may be a bit more difficult to get that needed sight picture quickly.

It all boils down to personal preference, however. I have two turkey guns. One is equipped with a scope, the other is not. Guess which one I carry most of the time?

Well, when somebody says exactly what you're thinking, there's no need in repeating it............

I concur dutchman:yeah:

alex30808

no scope/red dot here...just the fiber optics that came on my mossburg...

I scout/watch all year long....I have a group of birds that work my land behind the house and then in the spring they move over to the next pc of property...it's ag fields and such...also there are 25+ yr old pines there that they roost in...mine pines are only about 12-15 yrs old and not as tall.

Right now the birds are here on my place...infact I seen them two days ago...come season I will have about a week or so to take one bird from the flock before they move on...scouting/watching lets me see what's in the area before opening day.