Kentucky elk

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Has anyone on here applied for the draw in KY, and better yet, has anyone on here been drawn for the elk hunt? I have applied for two years now and haven't been drawn, but I guess I am gonna keep on applying. If you aren't familar with elk hunting in KY, I would suggest checking it out, they have the biggest herd east of the Rockies and there are some monsters being harvested, they say they are bigger on whole than those out west because of the relatively mild winters and plentiful food.

Backcountry

i've put in for the draw for the first time this year...

Jim P

A few years ago I killed a nice 6 point in Idaho, I never thought about Ky, I'll have to check it out, how do you apply?

golffreak

I applied this year. I'm not expecting to get drawn though.

QTurn

I applied for the first time this year as well. Got my fingers crossed!

If you get picked, how do you go about the hunt? Is it all public land, or do the deer outfitters offer elk hunts as well?

satchmo

Second season and I apply every year. it is by far the best success and trophy for free range elk on earth. We have not gotten drawn yet ,but we apply every year.

gurn

Gone but not forgotten
I think The boy and I will try this year.

shadow2

from what i have read it is one of the hardest tags to draw in the country....ranks up there with some of the sheep tags.. best of luck to you guys.. if you do draw chances are you will have a great trophy

hayseed_theology

I've applied the last two years, haven't gotten drawn. A friend of mine's dad got drawn for a cow tag a couple years ago. He bagged one on his first trip.

ben300win

I have applied for about 5 years now without getting drawn. I wish they would establish a points system. We actually leased some land just outside of the OUT OF ZONE area where you can kill one with a deer tag if you see one. The license for a out of state deer tag is 190.00 which includes one buck and one doe. If you apply for a elk tag and get it the tag price is like 365.00 plus the hunting license. About typical for an out of state elk tag.

johnson92

My family lives there, drawed a cow tag 2yrs ago, filled it the first day. don't know about elk on a deer tag???? lots of wma land and private, its a beutiful place to go see elk. could hook you up with my dad no guide fees....

bocephus1

I don't think the preferance point system would work there.to many people apply and to few tags means most people would have no chance in there lifetime.but I still apply every year.

Allen Waters

I don't think the preferance point system would work there.to many people apply and to few tags means most people would have no chance in there lifetime.but I still apply every year.

correct, this year there were 45,500 apply for 800 total permits. only 200 of which are elk tags. Points system would put folks from first app. to priority about 57 years!!
I'll keep hoping luck shines on me one day::;