PDA

View Full Version : RC Planes

rayjay
01-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Anybody else other than me and Biggus fly RC ?

rayjay
01-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Yay! First post in the new forum !!!:yeah:

boneboy96
01-17-2006, 08:28 PM
used to...sold all my rc stuff...planes, boats, trucks, etc. may have 1 or 2 engines left but that's all.

243Savage
01-17-2006, 08:57 PM
I used to be in to that big time. Never quite got over a slight gravity problem I kept encountering. I've got boxes of expensive wreckage in the basement. Tried fast boats thinking that would be safer....no dice....ever seen a nitro hydro smack a turtle at 60+ mph....it ain't pretty. :banginghe

fulldraw74
01-17-2006, 08:59 PM
ever seen a nitro hydro smack a turtle at 60+ mph....it ain't pretty. :banginghe

:rofl: man i have to try that.....:rofl:

bigdave
01-17-2006, 11:12 PM
i'm trying to get started in electric planes. any tips?

rayjay
01-17-2006, 11:44 PM
i'm trying to get started in electric planes. any tips?

Yeah, come up to the house on a calm evening and we will go up to Sugar Hill Elem and wear my neck out. I have a house full. Biggus only saw about 1/2 of them.

Lite Stiks, Foamies, Shock Flyer, Cox gas RC converted to elec, Blue Angels Bearcat.........

I'll get you a link http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php?topic=air-elec

rj

csp6245
01-18-2006, 12:16 AM
I fly a little trying to get back into

EON
01-18-2006, 09:32 AM
I mostly build when I have time, but do fly a little......key word... little.

CORNFED500
01-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Yea man I have build them from kits, from cloraplast and pvc down spout, have made many from home made stuff from a hardware store that fly great.

Eddy M.
01-18-2006, 11:26 PM
I have an AEROBIRD electric plane lots of fun but haven't used it in a long time because of not having a good place to fly it--- looking at trying the Marietta/ Woodstock soccer fields when they are not being used eddy

boneboy96
01-26-2006, 07:40 PM
there's nothing more rewarding then spending months of evenings and weekends on a plane and actually get it to fly...fly...fly away...only to crash and burn 5 seconds later. :yeah:

EON
01-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Been there done that. :banginghe :banginghe :banginghe But it is fun building them.

Racor
01-26-2006, 10:04 PM
About 15 years ago I had a Gental Lady glider. Loved that plane. I would fly it from my parents backyard over a large corn field behind thier house. Well one day the local sherrif pulled into the drive and it seemed I was flying high enough to interfere with local airtraffic! :rofl:

I would get teh plane airborn and actually look through binoculars to help guide it back down! Those thermals back home were great!

A great hobby that I hope to share with my new born son!

Eddy M.
01-26-2006, 10:21 PM
similar story I am "HAM" radio operator and went to a "HAM" flea market ( HAMFEST)at Jim Miller Park in Cobb County there was a R/C operator there who built his planes from scratch and had HIGH power transmitters to control his planes (Hams can use higher powered r/c transmitters) any way he could fly his light weight electric so far away we could not see it with the bare eye-- he had been flying for a while when a GA. National Guard chopper flew over the J.M.Park /turned around and came back and checked out his aircraft( from a distance) for several minutes before continuing on their way-- his R/C was really way up there and a long way from the transmitter it was quite a sight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dixie
01-26-2006, 10:34 PM
Never flown the RC's but I used to wear the old string and joystick type out!! I had a model of the P-51 mustang, and the english hurricane, twin engine fighter model. Loved to go to the football field on sunday afternoons with them.

Eddy M.
01-26-2006, 10:43 PM
Dixie when I was a kid we had those old planes with a hand held 2 string control-- they had gas engines and went around in a circle so fast you would get dizzy and crash the plane - but the crashes never seemed to destroy the plane so I would fly once-crash then my brother would fly once and crash and over and over eddy

dixie
01-26-2006, 10:48 PM
Yup, that's them! Nothing quite like that smell of the gas/oil mix they burned, and having to use a six volt batt to crank them with. You could always tell when one of us had been "flying" from the prop cuts on our fingers! LOL, if I could find one, I do believe I'd try it again.

Eddy M.
01-26-2006, 10:57 PM
we need to get together and you try my electric -- just need a large clear area to fly it I am hoping to use the Marietta Soccer fields to fly sometimes--- lots of fun just start the motor and throw it in the wind and go I have several battery packs for the engine so while one is recharging we keep on flying:fine: :fine: :fine:

T-Bone
01-28-2006, 01:46 AM
I would be interested in some more info also. I was taking flying lessons last year until fuel got so rediculous and I had to stop. Miss it very much and am looking to try RC until I can get my lessons going again. Any pointers about what to look for in a decent plane and what to look out for in the planes on Ebay?

Eddy M.
01-28-2006, 11:42 AM
T-Bone I suggest first just going to a local hobby shop that has a good selection and just look the outdoor channel has a good R/C program every saturday-- inside R/C today @ 3:30 by my tv guide

rayjay
01-29-2006, 04:15 PM
Here's some pics of my elecs.

Eddy M.
01-31-2006, 10:08 PM
nice RayJay

rayjay
01-31-2006, 10:20 PM
I made my "aircraft carrier" when we were flying at an indoor soccer arena down south of atlanta. Saved trips back to the truck.

rj

Eddy M.
02-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Those of you who use electric motors--get one of those "jump start emergency batterys" for an auto if you get one with a 12V lighter hole in it you can plug in your battery charger and recharge your battery in the field while you fly--I've seen so many people walking back and forth to their cars to recharge their battery !!! I guess they never thought about it I got my recharge station for $20:huh: :huh:

rayjay
02-01-2006, 06:01 PM
I have a passel of batteries :D Nowadays with my neck issues I can only fly 3 or 4 batteries worth and I am done for the day :( . I just go up to the field with enough batts to fly all I want and don't worry about charging.

When I was a member of a club we could park right by the benches and set up with the charger hooked to the van batt. I had 3 chargers and would have that many batts charging while I was flying. If I didn't watch out I would be taking fully charged batts home and have to use the discharge function of my charger . Nicads are best stored discharged. LiPo are best stored charged. Lipo take a lot longer to charge so I normally only charge them at home before I go flying.

Nicad 300 mah = 3 oz
Lipo 340 mah = .9 oz

On a 6 oz ready to fly plane taking off 2 oz makes an amazing difference in the flying characteristics.

Lipo batts and brushless motors transformed electric flight. Vertical performance is now commonplace.

rj

tackelboxboy9
01-31-2010, 09:07 PM
to boneboy96 hey would you sell those engines

goob
02-04-2010, 07:02 PM
to boneboy96 hey would you sell those engines

Thread is 4 years old buddy.