Found the Mack Daddy of All Roosts!!!

MoeBirds

..........when sitting a stand that hadn't been hunted all season:fine: !!!

On Sunday eve I slipped into the area after work @ 4:45 and at around 5:45 I heard a ruckus like no other from the swamp behind me:hair: !?

I thought it was a big covey of quail being busted by one of the many bobcats which grow big and fat on our early-release program, but then I heard another...and another....and so on:cool: !!!!

I quit counting at 16 and focussed my attention on the mature doe which foolishly stepped into the opening in the last few minutes of the season, all the while seemingly unconcerned with the roosting still going on nearby.

I took this as an indication of a common occurance for deer in that area to hear. While retrieving the doe early the next morning, I was greeted with the discovery of a small island littered with feathers and waste beneath an unusually shaped and massive pine tree amongst all the other cypress.

I'll be back before the season to just have a look-see, as to the sex structure of those birds, (males versus females)

Should I assume they'll still use this roost if left unpressured come March:huh: ?!?

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
It depends. I know of one roost that is used year round. Other places i know the roost trees seem to change with the seasons.

kevincox

Hard to say. I see gobblers in entirely different areas in the spring than in the fall , most years

alex30808

Good chance they will continue to use that roost...but remember that they are creatures of HABIT...they will go to their Spring grounds and IF it includes that roost...then they will be there.

hawglips

Banned
Bound2Ramble Should I assume they'll [I said:
still[/I] use this roost if left unpressured come March:huh: ?!?

You should NOT assume that. If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on them splitting up, some at least, and moving on come spring.

Hal