Hen poll !!

How many turkey hunters in here would kill hens and why???Even if it is or was legal what would be the fun in taking a hen??? Im not talking about kids or beginners! I mean die hard turkey hunters!:huh::huh::huh::pop:

Gut_Pile

If it was legal I would shoot one just to see how they tasted.

Huntinfool

If it was legal in the fall, then yes I'd do it in a heartbeat. But, like a lot of guys, I'd want it to be a called in bird preferably after busting the flock up....oldschool.

I hear the meat tastes like turkey...but that's just an internet rumor I've seen floating around.

boparks

Right now....Maybe, but in someone else's state. :biggrin3:

I just couldn't bring myself to do it on my own hunting land yet.

I will admit that hearing about Fall hunting and the techniques, dogs, busting flocks etc has made me want to try it.......

Please pm any Fall Hunting Invitations to:

boparks in care of Woody's / GON Forum:biggrin2:

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
No, I would not shoot hens. I think they have enough pressure from yotes as it is and hunting hens would add to the problem. IMO.

I have and will again in the future here in Wisconsin.

I have a hard time believing the amount of hens killed in the fall by hunters is even a drop in the bucket when compared to what predators take or the results of a bad hatch. In other words stuff outside of our control is going to change the populations for the worse or better long before legal hunters will.

Wisconsin has only had huntable numbers of turkeys since the 80's and now we have about the highest harvest of birds and we kill hens in the fall. That little fact alone tells me it isn't hurting anything.

hawglips

Banned
Fall hunting, yes.

Bearded or otherwise legal hen in the spring, no.

win280

With all the lost habitat in Ga I would not.Getting harder to find good turkey woods with all the planted pines.JMO

bird_dawg

I would in the fall but not the spring. Just one, with the same approach as the spring (JUST shot gun or bow).

mjfortner

Hunters can and will affect the population. It wasnt yotes that almost wiped out the wild turkey a few generations ago. I would choose not to shoot hens right now. Nothing against those who do. I would choose not to as a personl preference.

Hunters can and will affect the population. It wasnt yotes that almost wiped out the wild turkey a few generations ago.

And it wasn't hunters that almost wiped them out either...

I talked with the Governor of Georgia this morning he predicted some changes in Georgia hunting regs and possibly a fall season in the near future.

ssm

YES. But only on a fall hunt.

Until you have seen and heard a flock trying to regroup after a scatter, you just can not believe how exciting a fall hunt is.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
And it wasn't hunters that almost wiped them out either...

I talked with the Governor of Georgia this morning he predicted some changes in Georgia hunting regs and possibly a fall season in the near future.

Like what?

How many turkey hunters in here would kill hens and why??? Yes, its a sport I have been associated with since 1958. To keep it short the rest of my answer would be like asking why you kill gobblers.

Even if it is or was legal what would be the fun in taking a hen??? Again I could go into a long disortation but simply ask yourself what fun you get out of killing a gobbler.

Until one experiences the sights and sounds of a fall/winter hunt (with or without a dog) we as a band of turkey hunters could argue till the cows come home and longer the pros or cons of shooting a hen. Also understand that fall hunters are not out there just to kill hens, most want to take a jake or longbeard and will hold off for just them.

Please do not associate turkey hunters of today with the MEAT HUNTERS at the turn of the century that almost wiped out the wild turkey.

A bearded hen in the spring or fall I would never shot, grandfather said it was bad luck.:huh: But I continue on with his superstition.:D