Decoy setups

beginnersluck

Just wondering how you guys set your decoys up. Personally, I set mine up about 15 yards away with featherflex decoys. I place 1 hen on one side of me and a hen and a jake on the other side of me, making somewhat of a triangle between the decoys and myself, with me being the middle point. It seems to be pretty effective, but I was just wanting to get new ideas from all of you.

Atlsooner

I have simulated my jake mounting my hen decoy about 18 yards from me to the left.

hawglips

Banned
I leave the jake in the truck with the hen. Either that, or put them in my vest, and use them for pillows when I take a nap around lunchtime.

Hal

Thunderbeard

I usually set mine up with the hen facing away from me and the jake facing the hen.

beginnersluck

Atlsooner said:
I have simulated my jake mounting my hen decoy .
I too have used this setup. I also always put the jake facing 90 degrees from me b/c gobblers usually get face to face and that makes an easier shot.

S

spraggins

only decoys i use, are the real live hens that inhabit the particular woods i am hunting. i' have tried them before, sometimes successfully. they seem to run off an awful lot of mature birds, i don't like that. i also would be nervous about handling a decoy that resembles a legal tom. lately, it seems there are more city slickers than ever who will try to stalk turkey noises. i'm afraid they would hose down my decoys and me w/ pellets!

bull0ne

Banned
spraggins said:
only decoys i use, are the real live hens that inhabit the particular woods i am hunting. i' have tried them before, sometimes successfully. they seem to run off an awful lot of mature birds, i don't like that. i also would be nervous about handling a decoy that resembles a legal tom. lately, it seems there are more city slickers than ever who will try to stalk turkey noises. i'm afraid they would hose down my decoys and me w/ pellets!

That's where i'm headed also.......unless i'm way deep toward the middle of a private tract i leave the dekes off.

If i do put dekes out i place them past me so if the bird does spook hopefully he will be in range when it happens.....even then it's for big plots or fields.

dutchman

Along the same line of reasoning offered by Hawglips, mine stay in a big box in my basement. Even during the season. They've done me more harm than good over the years.