Constrictions

Duckhawk

Banned
If I go from a .655 to .665 will I notice a difference? I have a few chokes that I have acces to try from what I have, just curious.

rutandstrut

Depending on the shot size you use, the pattern should open up some! I would shot #6's through the .655 Choke.

Brad C.

Not much will be gained or lost in my opinion as long as you are talking about the same style and make of choke. But there will be a little difference. From my testing of same style and make choke tubes in various guns, small variations in constriction up to even .015 don't amount to a heck of a lot once you get down below say .680 for a 12GA gun with a backbore of .727 to .742. More times than not the smaller constriction will be your best bet. Most standard barrel 12GA guns will typically shoot around a .655 to .665 choke constriction the best from my findings. For bigger backbore barrels like the Moss 835 with its .775 backbore barrel, .670 to .680 seems to be about the best choke constriction. When I was shooting lead loads, I noticed that 5's and 6's shot the best from these choke constrictions, and when shooting 4 shot that the choke could be a little more open by say .010 to .015 from the above numbers to get your best pattern.

What I have found to really make the difference when talking how the choke will perform is the style or design of the choke will be more important than the constriction alone. You still need around the right size constriction, but the choke tube design like the length of the parallel and the overall smoothness in transition from the conical to the parallel of the choke will make a big difference in the way it shoots. I used to not believe in slots or porting to add much in pattern improvement, but now I am tending to believe that with shooting the Hevi-Shot loads that it probably is beneficial to some extent. This to me explains why the higher more expensive chokes like Pure Gold or Indian Creek seem to typically shoot the best. The ports and the slots will also probably aid in helping to pattern most turkey loads the best by stripping or stopping the wad.

Brad C.

I'll add this just so you know becasue I have done it. You can take 3 choke tubes from any manufacturer that are the exact same style, and shoot the same type of loads through each one out of the same exact gun, and 1 of them tubes will consistently be a little better than the other 2 from my findings. That just goes to show you although they all will shoot close to the same, there will be a difference from choke to choke.

Brad C.

I'll throw one more tibit at you. If you shoot any Remington threaded guns, this is supposedly one of the better shooting chokes for the money. I have one but have yet to shoot it in my 870, but a guy I have talked to said he gets incredible patterns with Hevi-Shot loads from this tube. Forget the lead only on the side of the tube, it will work for Hevi-Shot as well.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=956890&chrSuperSKU=&MC=&CatID=&mySort=

M Sharpe

I'll throw one more tibit at you. If you shoot any Remington threaded guns, this is supposedly one of the better shooting chokes for the money. I have one but have yet to shoot it in my 870, but a guy I have talked to said he gets incredible patterns with Hevi-Shot loads from this tube. Forget the lead only on the side of the tube, it will work for Hevi-Shot as well.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=956890&chrSuperSKU=&MC=&CatID=&mySort=

Yea, you can't believe anything those manufactures say, their just trying to cut back on lawsuits if your gun were to blow to pieces.

You can go to the Gobblin Thunder or Comp-n-Choke factory and shoot til you find the choke that matches your gun. They roll mark those things .655,.660,.665, and etc. but a lot of times they don't actually measure that. It's kinda like buying a call in a blister pack. You don't know how it sounds until you rip the thing open and play it. Like buying strikers for you favorite call only to find it doesn't sound good. Carry your call with you to buy strikers. Some of these manufacturers will let you return your choke tube for a different consriction if it does not suit you.

gobblingghost

You can't go by what the manufactures put on the package. I miked all my chokes and there is a big difference in what they say the constriction is and when its miked.

BPR

My pattern improved when I went from a 655 to 665 with hevi 13. I was over choking it and got a better pattern by opening it up.

Brad C.

My pattern improved when I went from a 655 to 665 with hevi 13. I was over choking it and got a better pattern by opening it up.

Again, a lot of that depends on the actual design of the choke.

When you find a magical choke like for instance the Star Dot choke for the 835, it is .676 which is getting down there in constriction for a .775 backbore barrel. But man does it ever shoot those Hevi-13 3.5" 2 and 1/4oz #6 loads. They say a Pure Gold will shoot real well out of a Moss 835 and it is tighter yet at .670. But the design plays a bigger part than the actual constriction when it comes to the magical patterning choke.