anyone have experience with 45-70?

Anyone use a 45-70 guide gun on deer?Would this be good for 150yrd shots?Final question am i wasting my time with this caliber and should a get a wsm caliber (had a 270 wsm but sold it stupidity) like i had?Thanks for any info

scoggins

45-70 kicks like a MULE and why would you want to shoot a deer with it

I say scrap the 45-70 and go with a 270 or 30/06 they are a lot more versitle.

If your heart is just set on a lever action get a 35 I have shot deer at 175 yards with mine don't think I would want to push it much further.

Someone in another thread said..." You don't have to shoot a 300 mag in GA ; you do it because you want to..." I think that applies to the 45-70 as well

I just have a problem with pulling the trigger and it costing 3.00 for it togo !!BANG!! But that is your little red waggon

DS7418

Gone But Not Forgotten
At 175 yards a 45/70 will drop a deer. Next thing,, make sure it is sighted in for 175 yards.
I hunt with a custom 30/06 Rem700,, sighted in at 0-at 200yrds.. but I normally kill deer closer than 125yrds here in GA.
Whatever is comfiee for you is most important.. but to answer your question,, the 45/70 will do the job at 175 if you do your part.

pnome

I've killed two deer with mine. Both never took another step. Both no more than 50yrds away. It is not a long range gun. But it makes a great woods rifle / brush gun.

150yrds is certainly possible. I use the 325gr LeverEvolutions they can reach out that far, but not much farther. (YMMV)

I love it. With a limbsaver recoil pad, the recoil is not that bad.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I've got the Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 and I certainly don't think it kicks like a mule, but I'm a grown man. The 405 grain Govt loads are rather low in recoil actually.

I've sighted it in with the Hornady LeveRevolution in 325gr I believe. This round has considerably more "pop."

I bought it for a good brush gun, but I've never had to shoot it in the brush.

If I were you, I would keep it simply because of its versatility as a lever gun. With different loads, you can hunt just about anything with it. You can't say the same for a 30-30 or .35 or other popular lever rounds.

HTRDNCK

I shoot a 45-70 in a NEF Handi-Rifle. To me it is a great woods rifle. 150 yards in my short light-weight single shot would be a stretch. In the right firearm it will perform at much longer ranges.

It is a handloader's dream. It can be loaded in a wide power range. I load a 300gr. JHP to 1700fps. recoil is moderate and it packs a wallop for deer size game.

I recently had the opportunity to shoot through 2 hogs for a one-shot-double-kill. Both dropped in their tracks at 50 yards.

Last edited:

holton27596

I agree with with the handloads. However I shoot a 400gr speer at 2000fps with mine. Kicks like a mule, but drops EVERYTHING it hits. at That velocity it is a good 200 yard gun. My 270 tears game up worse, so that is not an issue.

MSLewis

Goto graybeard outdoors' forum and look in the NEF rifle forums ( http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?board=126.0 ). They're in love with 45/70 over there and have me really looking forward to shooting mine. I'll be handloading some rounds in the very near future - a new hobby.

Here's a great blog about burning black powder cartridges in an NEF 45/70: http://45-70.blogspot.com/2008/10/45-70-handi-rifle-casting-bullets.html

Lots of great info there. I know these sites are NEF-specific, but they'll definitely give you info on the round, too.

one hogman

.45-70

The .45-70 is a great ole cartridge that [ I hope] will never die, like previous post say you can handload it to bear or putty cat, it is very versatile,and new loads Leverevolution add new pop, I love mine [ guide gun and Handi rifle] they have killed Hogs and deer with authority and with proper site in it can be a 200 yd gun , no bull,I don't find the recoil that bad ,but with the Garret sledgehammer loads up to and over 500 grains you can take anything on the planet[ with a strong gun] the recoil on these will let you know when you pull the trigger, If I am up close looking for Hogs in the swamp my guide gun in .45-70 is what I want with me, get one you will love it.

EMC-GUN

I've killed two deer with mine. Both never took another step. Both no more than 50yrds away. It is not a long range gun. But it makes a great woods rifle / brush gun.

150yrds is certainly possible. I use the 325gr LeverEvolutions they can reach out that far, but not much farther. (YMMV)

I love it. With a limbsaver recoil pad, the recoil is not that bad.

PLEASE tell me you are making a joke here right? I have heard some pretty asinine things in my life, but this one is a doozy! The bison population was almost decimated at the turn of the century by the 45-70 and like cartridges. They were shooting 500gr. and up bullets in ballon head brass with black powder, at ranges up to, and further than 1000 yards. Sometimes from moving rail cars. The current mass produced loading for the 45-70 (barring those from Garret, LBT etc.) are produced at Trapdoor pressures so some moron doesn't load up Granddads heirloom and blow it apart. Handloading is where the 45-70 shines! I have a load that has killed 2 deer, uses 14.5gr. Unique pistol powder and kicks like a 20ga. bird load. I also have a load that uses a heavy charge of Varget that will make your teeth hurt and create headaches. These loads are with a 405gr. plain base cast bullet. To relegate the 45-70 to a "short range brush gun" is foolishness. This is the same school of thought that discounts the 30-30s effectiveness and also sells a bunch of WSSSSM and related wondermagnumsupersonicshootfielddresskillandgrill deer rifles. BALDERDASH and utter foolishness!

horse2292

Lots of info on the Alaska Directory Forum also. Very popular up there.

7Mag Hunter

The Guide gun as Driller1986 asked about IS a short barrel gun
and not really in the category as long range "Buffalo" guns of
100 yrs ago with 30"+ barrels....
The BULLET is certainly capable if killing a deer, or Buff at long
ranges....,Energy of a 300gr bullet at the muzzle is 2182 ft pds, and
at 200yds 1030 foot pounds of energy...There are more effective
calibers for longer range shots..I would limit shots to 150yds
or so as pnome suggests...
The GUN Driller asked about is more suited for deer hunting at 100-150 yds, even with hand loads..

EMC-GUN

I wouldn't relegate the Guide Gun to short range status due to barrel length. I have seen amazing things done with all manner of guns, like 100 yard handgunning with Glocks with factory barrels and sights. Center mass. Don't sell yourself or a particular gun short. Anything is possible. If you are confident with a longe range shot than take it. Don't doubt the effectiveness of a gun because "it is not a long range gun".

pnome

PLEASE tell me you are making a joke here right? I have heard some pretty asinine things in my life, but this one is a doozy!

I guessed you missed the "YMMV" at the end of that statement. It stands for "Your Mileage May Vary"

150 yrds is as far as I'd like to go with it. I certainly understand it will retain killing power well beyond that.

EMC-GUN

I did not mean to present such a scathing tirade. And for that I apologize. There are folks who have killed more deer here than I will ever SEE in my lifetime. I am not trying to overlay my experiences with firearms over someone elses. And I do realize the Guide Gun is quite a bit different than a Sharps, or a Hi Wall Browning.

holton27596

A guide gun with a 400 grain bullet at 2000fps sighted in at around 3 "high at 100 will be around 5 low at 200.

Rem 742

I have a Contender in 45-70. I shoot it with a rifle stock, not as a pistol. It is a great deer round out to 200 yards. Lot's of knockdown. One of my favorite guns.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Rugers

I shoot the Ruger #3 in 45/70. My hunting style, not the gun, finds me shooting 100 yds or less with it. It has always produced DRT results.

I plan on someday owning a #1 in 45/70. I'm certain with handloads it would be capable of most any shot I can make.

smitty8765

I love mine. With factory loads and mild handloads the kick is suprisingly soft. With hot loads it is wild but fun...( especially right at dark or early in the morning when you can see the fireball it produces) It is the hammer of Thor on game without tearing up much meat.....Much less damage than a 30-06. I had the same plans you did when I bought mine. After mounting a scope on it I regretted it right away. It takes so much away from the handling and looks of the gun. I found mine to be much more functional with a nice set of xs ghost ring sights. I can still keep all five in a paper plate at 100yds with them. I have never tried any farther than that. As far as killing power......it certainly is not lacking any, even with factory loads. But, whatever you do do not buy a used one with the ported barrel. IT IS TOO LOUD. Good Luck.