Pink???

squirrelhunter912

Alright I got a pack of different feathers and I have a huge amount of pink feathers and I was wondering if yal could post some recipies of flies with pink feathers

KINGFISHER

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you purchased a Whiting Variety Pack and it happened to have pink hackle in it? Think of colors as flavors and try them in patterns that you already know; Deceivers for example. People normally think pink and immediately think "SALMON". But honestly, pink can be a great color! Try a "Electric Chicken" colored fly which is pink and chartreuse. I assume you are tying for warmwater, and it just so happens that combo is deadly in both fresh water and brine; especially for crappie.

yaknfish

Last few times I've fished in the salt, Electric Chicken has been a favorite of the locals. I've tied (half) pink Clousers and Decievers. Or find some shrimp patterns.

olcowman

Hillbilly Philosopher
I dont know... they do make a beautiful boa I reckon. You know to wear around your neck? I aint ever seem much pink in freshwater flies around here, but they might be the ticket for red fish and sea trout over on the coast? A shrimp pattern as suggested would be an interesting tie... if you make one send us a pic.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
This is a pattern of mine. It is great for Crappie, Trout, and well just about anything with gills Just follow the link............Tentwing
QUOTE]

Where you been man? That Pink Harlot is a fine fly. The trout at Cochran Shoals love'm.

Tentwing

Paymaster;

Hey man I have been held captive up here by the Tennessee Volunteers for the past 4 years ;)

The original Pink Harlot looked like this.....

image.asp.jpeg

The Pink Bead head seems to make a difference with the Crappie and Bream but not the Trout :D I actually came up with The Pink Harlot way back when for a Crappie fly on Sandy Creek park lake when I lived in Athens GA. I discovered by accident later that year that it was a DH killer on the Nantahala and the Tuck. :clap: It has been going strong ever since.

I have a buddy up here that uses a double rig Pink Harlot exclusively for Crappie. I have a friend back at UGA that has me tie 3 dozen for him to take to Alaska each year since 1996. I think he should take me with him one year, so I can tie them at stream side ;)

In keeping with this thread I have another very good crappie fly/ DH fly that makes good use of pink feathers. It is just a variation of the old Wooly Worm.

ZQJOS-IMG_3899.jpg

Dont be afraid to use Chartruese, Bright Yellow, or bright Orange in place of the pink marabou for the tail. The bream seem to prefer the yellow.;)

Hope some of this helps............Tentwing

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Good Stuff Tentwing Thanks.

centerpin fan

There's a guy who posts at flyfisherman.com who claims that a pink Clouser is the best thing since sliced bread. He says it's much better than the more traditional chartreuse-over-white and worked great in freshwater and salt. He called it the "pink wonder".

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Thanks, I will tie and test the Pink Wonder during Spring Break Vacation!:cool:

henryc

I have used pink to catch fish for many a year. From bonefish to trout to especially stripers, pink is a great color to use. I use it mostly as an accent color rather than a primary color. I think they just see it better......stripers are notoriously known for being extremely finicky when they key in on small baits. See pic below.....
HC

Attachments

• 139.jpg
    139.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 116