The Atmosphere in This Forum Has Changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

boparks

I've been here almost a year and realize I'm coming up on my 1000th post.

Out of those 1000 this will likely be my first negative one and one that is sure to draw fire.

That said I'm gonna state what I believe many others here think.

Without question the overall atmosphere in here has changed a ton over the past few weeks.

In the past it's mostly consisted of respectful, positive, constructive comments with many debates and opinions.
If someone kills a bird eveyone high fives em . New or less experinenced folks are encouraged to chime iand no one has seemed to be shy about asking or stating anything with a lot of particpation.

Its been rare that comments became personal, arrogant, or insulting. For the most parts differences in opinions have followed reasonable tracks and if they went too far the Moderators or Administrators stepped in and re gained control. Quite frankly I've been surprised at whats been allowed to go on.

I realize forums mean different things to different people and we're in here for a variety of reasons.

For me I just like being around good people and turkey folks and talking about serious and not so serious about topics. I've learned alot from others here and have made a number of friends.

I know my reasons are different than others.

I realize there are huge differences in opinion and often by pushing a discussion everyone really thinks things thru and some minds are changed and others don't

Lately it's been much different in that many posters's comments are responded to in a way that totally disregards, insults, and is unnessarily arrogant. It seems like some here show a general disrespect and go out of your way to insult people for no aparent reason.

I simply don't understand the purpose of these type of responses and I certainly don't at all understand why some of whats gone on here has been allowed and tolerated. I know a couple of Mods have made an effort.

I believe that you're seeing alot less posting by some of the regulars and others that brought alot into this place as they don't want to be constantly exposed to riducule.

For some reason I've not had the pleasure of being insulted but I realize its coming now.

I only post this because I've observed all thats gone on here, see that what was a great forum, has been depreciating and hope that some ground rules or control will be regained. I hate to see habitual, insulting, negative comments continue to a point it's just the norm here

Before someone states it, I realze no one has a gun to my head and I don't have to be here.

Simply put, its just getting old and I think some should learn to show a little respect and realize there are ways and thoughts beyond their own as to how to get enjoyment out of hunting turkeys.

I realize I've just posted a big bullseye on my back but whatever.

If nothing else this should be an interesting post.

Last edited:

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
It would make the MODS job a lot easier if everyone was civil.

ALLBEEF

Had several smart alec responses and negative post driven towards me in the last few weeks - makes me mad:mad:
Good post - agree 100%:flag:

Huntinfool

Bo,

Man, I wish I could say it was just this year. But it's not. It's been happening for several years now.

From my perspective, the "harder core" turkey hunters are over here most of the year. But, come January, when deer season finishes, a bunch of other turkey hunters come on in and we get a much bigger group frequenting the area.

Unfortunately, I'm seeing more of the hardcore folks get uncivil in recent years. I just kind of chalk it up to growing pains and try to ignore as much as possible.

I wish there was a solution....but there likely isn't. It's still the best board on the internet as far as I'm concerned though.

Had several smart alec responses and negative post driven towards me in the last few weeks - makes me mad:mad:
Good post - agree 100%:flag:

Me too....I don't let it make me mad though.

Gaswamp

things get a little heated every year in this forum. As long as it doesn't become personal good debate is alright IMHO

ryano

Banned
Could very well be the best post I have ever read on this forum :flag: it needed to be said.

I always read but never participate............Just feel so inferior to the know it alls.

I have only been hunting turkeys for about 5 years. I have killed two and called in one for a friend that missed.

I ALWAYS felt comfortable asking newbie questions around here until this place changed.

Glad somebody finally had the courage to say what Im sure so many of us think :flag:

Gut_Pile

Good post Mr. Bobby. I've been on here for 3 years come march and it happens every year it seems like. Some people just get on here to stir the pot. Eventually they will say too much and get banned. It's just a matter of time. Just like how we had TEM2 last season. He eventually went to far and now he's gone. The mods will only take negativity from one person for so long. I have always tried my best to congratulate people and thank people for sharing their info. You can search my post to find this true. This is still a great place and I've made some great friends. I am on the forum pretty much on and off from 10am until sometimes 2 the next morning and stay on the turkey forum year round. It will clear up some once turkey season gets here. Right now some people have nothing better to do than stir the pot and criticize people that don't shoot what they shoot or hunt the way they hunt. Good post Mr. Bobby and I too hope things get cleared up pretty soon.

Core Lokt

I'm new to the turkey hunting section and haven't been around that long, actually I'm new to turkey hunting only having 4 seasons behind me but I can see somewhat of a "clique" with some. Some point out things such as mis spelling words and the like and don't answer the question asked or give advice. It still isn't as bad at the waterfoul section though. I personally look at hunting forums as a place for people to ask questions, get answers or oppinions, share about our hunts and have discussions. I know everyone is different and so are attitudes and not everyone will get along but you gotta try or keep it to yourself. Season is almost here guys :cheers:

georgia_hunter

Well I try not to get involved in post's like this but I could not keep my mouth shut. I agee 100% I have been on the waterfowl forum and it has gotten to the point where you are scared to even post anything about what you have shot because someone will start something. I bounce back and forth a good bit between these sites and I hate to say it, but this one is heading in the same direction. I will not ever post anything negative about anyone's kill or their hunt. But it seems some people look for stuff on here to low rate you about. I know the MODS do a great job and at times have there hands full. Well I guess to make a long story short. IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING GOOD TO SAY THEN DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL....

BPR

I agree that the entire forum has changed and has been changing over time. I guess its due to the size.

As I stated in the thread a couple of weeks ago, I wish that the mods would tighten down on some of those that make people not feel welcome. But another option for all of us is the ignore list. You can add these people to the ignore list and not even see their post. Or you can just ignore their posts on your own, but if they stop getting the attention, then they will go find somewhere else to get the attention from.

But I'd also agree that it will only get worse the closer it gets to season.

bird_dawg

Agree with all that has been said. I'm a newbie as y'all can tell by my join date and I have seriously enjoyed reading and learning from y'all. No one has attacked me personally yet, but who cares about a big bad internet bully? I've enjoyed it.

ryanwhit

Mr. Bobby, I agree completely. Unfortunately I have let myself get drawn in to some of the nonsense that has taken place over the last month or so. Sometimes people are so arrogant that I just have a hard time keeping my mouth shut. I too try to congratulate folks on successful hunts and stories and trophies, whatever that may be for them.

I guess the easy way to solve this problem is the old adage "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything." And in this case you could prolly substitute "constructive" or "worthwhile" for "nice."

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Bo,

Man, I wish I could say it was just this year. But it's not. It's been happening for several years now.

From my perspective, the "harder core" turkey hunters are over here most of the year. But, come January, when deer season finishes, a bunch of other turkey hunters come on in and we get a much bigger group frequenting the area.

Unfortunately, I'm seeing more of the hardcore folks get uncivil in recent years. I just kind of chalk it up to growing pains and try to ignore as much as possible.

I wish there was a solution....but there likely isn't. It's still the best board on the internet as far as I'm concerned though.

Funny thing is, there is a VERY SIMPLE solution. If EVERYONE would use their ignore button on the folks that bother them, they will go away after no one responds to them. :smash:

Dudley Do-Wrong

I've been a member of this forum for a very long time, I WAS a mod for a while but felt it was necessary to give that up. Unless you have been a mod on this forum, you have no idea the crap you have to deal with. The administration has tried to make this a family oriented forum so that a diversity of people will feel welcomed.

Every year, about this time, it starts to heat up in this particular forum; I'm seeing names I've never seen before. That's fine and dandy, the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. Some are new members, some are older members that are seasonal. Doesn't matter, it's a public forum.

I don't care what someone's experience level is; I don't care if you have killed 100 birds, you had to start somewhere. I believe it is incumbent upon the more experienced turkey hunters to share their knowledge and experience, I believe that is one of the main purposes of this forum. True, there are some who are here to prove that they know more than the next guy, we get them every year and they usually don't last long. I have refrained from posting a few times because the advice already given is either exactly or very similar to what I would have said and therefore I would have added nothing to the conversation. I was taught an old saying a long time ago "the only dumb question is the one you don't ask".

Toddmann

Great post. So many different ways to hunt the wild turkey and love to read all the stories. It sure would be nice if everyone here could remember that all the different styles and ways of hunting is what makes it enjoyable and educational. Thisvwill be my 25th year hunting this bird and I am still learning. Hope I haven't offended anyone on here over the years. If so, just send me a pm and I will let ya take me hunting at your best spot so I can apologize. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.