me and daddy had some fun today

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Well, we consider it fun.

A big oak tree fell on the creek at the backside of our place. We've been wanting to cut it for a long time but have been real busy. We have a cattle farm so he stays busy every day and I help when I can between working 2 jobs.

Anyway, he did the chainsaw work and I swung the splitting maul today. Probably about 4 hours total time. I should add he is 67 years old, has diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and one heart stint. But he "bows up and takes it" as he puts it and works like a mule.

I got tickled because when we got finished and went to feed cows he kept saying "DANG boy, you split a PILE of wood today".

Next is splitting the BIG part of the tree up maybe next week. that will entail the use of a sledgehammer and wedges. There is also a hickory that this tree knocked down that will have to go, but we'll cut it last cause it's hard on the saw blades. This is one of several we have to cut.

On wood like oak I can split it faster than our power woodsplitter using a splitting maul, and the biggest pieces will have to be split at least in half with the maul before we can get them on the splitter, so I just keep hammering away like John Henry. That and for some odd reason I really LOVE to do this. The angle isn't good but its about the same amout of wood as where he is sitting all the way down it it's just spread out more on the end.

Throwback

Attachments

• daddy woodpile #2 2-25-10.jpg
    daddy woodpile #2 2-25-10.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 929
  • daddy woodpile #3 2-25-10.jpg
    daddy woodpile #3 2-25-10.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 930
  • daddy woodpile 2-25-10.jpg
    daddy woodpile 2-25-10.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 937
Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Looks like ya`ll got a good start for next winter. I`ve always enjoyed splittin` wood too.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Need to do a little splitin'myself.
Nic,how many times have yall had snow like that in Lee County?

This is just the third time that I can remember, Mike. We had a good one in `73, a purty fair one in `93, right before Christmas, and this one.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
4 hours? That's shuckin the corn down to the cobb boy! Good looking pile of firewood!

I like swingin' a maul too. Once I get my rhythm going, I can stay at it all day long. Its' good therapy for the soul!:cool:

K80

I woulda swore I read here recently that you were 70.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
I'll bet you yo daddy can still whip yo butt!!

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
4 hours? That's shuckin the corn down to the cobb boy! Good looking pile of firewood!

I like swingin' a maul too. Once I get my rhythm going, I can stay at it all day long. Its' good therapy for the soul!:cool:

Probably an hour of it was laughing/picking at each other, diet coke drinking, texting my wife :biggrin2: and "calc'latin" on exactly how much we could cut off before that big rootball on the end (second picture) fell back in the creek. :eek:

T

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
You couldn`t have picked any better weather for this. Good time to do it!

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
He just saw it and corrected me he has ONE heart stint.

T