Coon trap or not?

ramsey

All my life I have heard you could drill a hole the size of a nickel in a log or tree growing horizontal over a river and place something shinny in the bottom of the hole. A coon would reach in and grasp it with his paw and become stuck and not turn the object loose. Fact or Fiction

Works to catch monkey's! But I haven't tried it on the monkeys at my lease though.

Bigtimber

The monkey's....I guess everyone has seen the tv show showing the monkey's being caught that way. The natives drill holes in the rocks, small hole that opens to a larger compartment. Just large enough for the monkey to get his hand into but to small to get his hand out of once he grabs something inside and makes a fist.( The natives put objects in the hole while the monkeys were looking at them). They just didn't seem to have enough sense to just turn it loose and they would catch them. Then they would tie those suckers up to a tree and feed them salt for a couple of days....until they got REAL thirsty. The whole object behind all this was the natives to find water during a drought....once they turned the thirsty monkey lose he would haul butt to the hidden water hole with the natives in hot purcuit.......pretty cool show...real intersting to me anyway....have no idea if it would work on a coon....I hear tell that they will do the same thing and simply won't turn loose and just simply be stuck there...on the show the monkey's sure seemed to be....they would not turn loose of that thing for nothing.

ponyboy

you left out the part where you drive nails into the hole at an angle .

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have a very old coon trap which was patented and sold commercially at one time. It is essentially a block of wood with hole drilled in it. It has three nails driven at a downward angle and extending well out into the hole.

The bait was placed at the bottom of the hole. When the raccoon reached in for the bait, presumable the nails at a reverse angle would not allow the withdrawal of his foot. I failed to mention that the nails were very sharp.

The trap is a collectible and I have never tested it.

It is my conviction that a raccoon must be smarter than a monkey.

Ta-ton-ka chips

GONetwork Member
There is a commercial trap called a "coon cuff" that works on the same principle. It triggers like a mouse trap and when the coon reachs in the trap it pins his arm to the side of the hole and he can't pull the arm out.

Attachments

• coon cuff.jpg
    coon cuff.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 407

Arrow3

I just always used a live trap baited with a honey bun or oatmeal pie...:D

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Arrow3 said:
I just always used a live trap baited with a honey bun or oatmeal pie...:D

If that trap is big enough, you might catch me then!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Just jokin` Arrow3, I use em too! :D

ponyboy

Buckshot2001 said:
The only problem with that a coon will chew its foot off
thats why u check your traps withen 24 hrs ....:bounce:

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
The best way to prove or disprove a theory or concept is to give it a test run. Get you a log and drill you a hole and see how many coons you can catch.

Any trappers care to ring me up and start the initiative to allow raccoon trapping in north Georgia?

ramsey

I never knew you could not trap coons in N. Ga. Is this true even if you have 6 or more around your home eating all your cat and dog food?

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Dang the coons

They're all around the house, climbing over my truck, boat and digging in potted plants. All over our hunting lease, so many they can wipe out all the truck tracks made the day before. Bet ground nesting birds have a time with 'em. Try and feed wildlife and you feed more coons than anything else. I wish trapping was allowed like in the 70's, cause it seems coons don't have any enemys in the woods except when young. I saw a barred owl kill a young 1/3 grown coon in a cypress tree once. The owl just punctured the lungs with his talons, then waited on a limb for the coon to expire. The owl then flew off with it, leaving two other young and the mother in the tree.