The Taliferro Beast is Dead!

Jeff Phillips

I had a GREAT hunt in Taliferro this morning!

I was a little late yesterday morning geting to my stand next to the swamp at the back of our lease. When I started down the ridge I heard grunting and chasing going on. I eased down as close as I dared and set up to rattle. He grunted and all I got was a very brief glimpse of him and his doe as they headed deeper into the swamp :mad: I climbed into my stand with little hope, and I was right!

Last night I moved my stand a little more toward the area where the creek comes out of the swamp. His sign seemed to be a little more concentrated between the creek, swamp, and a slough. I only saw a couple of does but they funneled right through the area I thought the deer were being forced to walk!

This morning I was in my stand EARLY! Nothing showed until 8:10. A GOOD buck came up beside the slough, stood there for about 5 minutes and crossed through the water. I never got a good look at the rack :( About 9:30 I broke out my Thermos cup of coffee and my electronic Battleship game. I thought most of the morning activity was done. At 10:02 I heard a couple of grunts and some crashing coming toward me. The doe came out in the lead and the buck below was in hot pursuit :D He stopped about 80 yards out with a gap in the trees right at his shoulder.

He's a goodun! 18" inside, great mass, 10" G2's, brow tines are weak. He green grosses 132 3/8".

Last edited:

Jeff Phillips

I think that got the pic's :p

Attachments

• 11-7-9point.jpg
    11-7-9point.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 626
  • 11-7-9point2.jpg
    11-7-9point2.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:

How2fish

Jeff congrats can't wait to see pics!! :fine:

hwy22

congratulations jeff

glad some body had some luck down there this weekend.

Arrow3

WTG Jeff!! Glad to see a good buck come from Taliaferro County....I only got to hunt once this weekend and saw a 4 pointer...Im gonna hunt in the morning though before work...

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Good one Jeff !!!!!!

Way to go. :yeah:

MM

Jeff Phillips

Thanks guys!

This 1 is going to take a ride to Baldwin so Woody can work his magic :fine:

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
Congrats Jeff

looks like a keeper to me;)

I like your interesting story also :clap:

leo

Jeff Phillips

huntnnut said:
Congrats Jeff, that's a nice'un!

Btw, did TaterTot know you had his game?... :bounce:

It's an old 1 of his ;)

He got bored with it when he got his Game Boy Advanced and gave it to me.

It has entertained me for many hours when the deer movement is slow :p

Meriwether Mike

Nice one. Congartulations on taking him. Glad someone is seeing the big ones. All I can see are six pointers in Hancock County.

Al33

Super Nice Buck!!!

WAY TO GO JEFF!!!

Very happy for you, especially in light of what you have had to go through lately. :clap: :clap: :clap:

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Al

Toliver

You're right, the brow tines are weak. I'd have let him go. ::gone:

All I can see in the way of boy deers is that stupid spike that walks TO me to check ME out. Why can't a big buck do that!!!??

Anyhow, congrats on a good buck. I was beginning to think there wern't any in Taliaferro.