crappie fishin

squirrelhunter912

alright i am goin fishin for crappie this weekend in an extremely clear lake that is about 10 ft at its deepest. Its gonna be kinda high because of the rain. What fly patterns should I throw?

centerpin fan

My first choice would be a very light (say, 1/100 oz) white marabou jig. The same thing in chartreuse would be my second choice.

overbrook

tie some of these up.....

IMGP1412.jpg

crappie love em'

IMGP0747.jpg

IMGP0727.jpg

IMGP0769.jpg

IMGP0749.jpg

IMGP0752.jpg

bass dig em' too

IMGP0731.jpg

yaknfish

I like that fly. Name? Recipe?
I seem to miss Crappie season every year. This year, I've got my own boat. When do y'all think they'll start hitting up around Atlanta and north?

bonedog

I seem to miss Crappie season every year. This year, I've got my own boat. When do y'all think they'll start hitting up around Atlanta and north?

I'm thinking pretty soon if it doesn't cool way off again. Gonna try to do some pond fishin' this weekend and will hopefully have a report. I bet today would have been a good day but unfortunately work got in the way :( Glad to have a job though :)
bd

yaknfish

Yup, Bonedog. Gotta agree with you on both work points. Glad to have a job. And, I even have a job that I like. But it sure does get in the way of fishin'.

Hopefully this weekend, I'll get my butt in the 'yak and a Clouser or a jig in the water.

overbrook

Dr.Death....
Hook:Gamakatsu B10S stinger hook
Thread: grey flat waxed nylon
Body: pearl crystal flash tied in along hook shank,
grey bucktail on top white bucktail on bottom,
grizzly hackle feathers down each side
red DNA holofusion for gills
Head: build up head with grey thread,add large 3D eyes and coat with epoxy.

When do y'all think they'll start hitting up around Atlanta and north?

like bonedog said....they should be staging in shallower water very soon if they have'nt already started.....I would have killed to be home fishing today!!! :biggrin2:

KINGFISHER

They should be hitting there pretty well right now, I know they are here in SE GA. I get reports from friends that regularly fish Oconee and Sinclair, and they say they have been catching them reasonably well.

yaknfish

Dr.Death....
Hook:Gamakatsu B10S stinger hook
Thread: grey flat waxed nylon
Body: pearl crystal flash tied in along hook shank,
grey bucktail on top white bucktail on bottom,
grizzly hackle feathers down each side
red DNA holofusion for gills
Head: build up head with grey thread,add large 3D eyes and coat with epoxy.
QUOTE]

Thanks! I'm going to try tying some tonite. Fishing report this weekend!

fishinbub

In smaller ponds they are already starting to move. I caught a 15 inch crappie today with a white marabou jig (spinning rod). I'm going fishin' with some friends this weekend. Hopefully I'll have pics of some big fish.::;

Overbrook,
That sure is one purdy spot you got there.

overbrook

Bub....thanks...you'd be welcome to make a visit sometime...though I'm not sure how far apart we are.....hoping with all the winter rains this year provides a much better year.....we've also stopped the general public from fishing....too much trash and non-sense to put up with. Not wanting to start a real rant....but why is it when someone opens thier private water to fishing for the benefit of others....those people can't use a little common decency and respect?

KINGFISHER

Bub....thanks...you'd be welcome to make a visit sometime...though I'm not sure how far apart we are.....hoping with all the winter rains this year provides a much better year.....we've also stopped the general public from fishing....too much trash and non-sense to put up with. Not wanting to start a real rant....but why is it when someone opens thier private water to fishing for the benefit of others....those people can't use a little common decency and respect?

I've seen this happen time and time again...I guess that some do not treat it with respect due to the fact that it is not their property and do not possess the same level of respect. We have had the same type of problems with trash and "ugh" fishing line left on the bank by some without the sense to pick it up! It does stink that a few bad apples always seem to ruin it for the whole bunch.

overbrook

. We have had the same type of problems with trash and "ugh" fishing line left on the bank by some without the sense to pick it up! .

That was exactly what did it.....My old man walked down to the area where people usually put thier boats in and there was a broken rod and a huge wad of fishing line laying there. I've been picking up bait containers,bottles and cans and extracting bobbers from limbs for years.....In fact one time I was walking down towards the dam with a trash bag picking up trash and there were three guys ...two fishing...one just drinking beer.....as I approached them without thier knowledge....the one not fishing threw a beer can out into the water.....without a word I walked right up between them....slid down the bank into the water and got the can....as I was climbing out of the water both guys began to apologize for it.....I simply said " you choose the company you keep....time for ya'll to leave" I don't think they were happy with thier buddy....but at the same time I can't help but think that had I not showed up they would'nt have said anything to him nor would they have gotten it out of the water.

fishinbub

Actually I was referring to the spotted bass, but thanks for the offer. One reason I like brookie fishing so much, not as many numb skulls throwing bait containers in the water.

Last edited: