To Z7 of not to Z7?

slappy66

I have an itch that needs to be scratched. I currently shoot a Mathews Drenalin and love it. Accurate, Smooth, Quiet. My problem is that I have a 26" draw lenght. Yeah, Yeah, I'm one of the short-rounds. Is 15 fps worth $800.00. My Drenalin is in the 265-270 fps range. Will the Z7 at 26" draw get me above 300 fps. Im not a speed freak and i know it is more shot placement and all of the other stuff, but i really need to scratch this itch. Will I regret it?

fullstrut

Need to try the Parker Black Hawk it will put you at 300+ fps with your draw length. This is a real sleeper bow. I bought one this past year. I have shot must all the big names not knocking any of them just really took a liking to the Black Hawk. I have a 28 1/2 draw and I'm shooting 328 fps with 100 gr. Muzzy's real smooth and light wt. and Quiet. IMO

lungbuster123

I would personally just stick with the Drenalin. I wasnt a big fan of the Z7. Try out the Monster or the Reezen. If your worryed about speed just switch to lighter arrow.

slappy66

im shooting a 252 grain gold tip with atwo blade rage. 352 grains total. No string leaches or wiskers. Believe me, ive tried everything I can to get a little faster.

boothy

No you will not get above 300 fps with a z7 shooting a 26in draw. You would need a bow that ibo's 350+ to be able to shoot at or over 300 fps in a hunting setup with a 26in draw and then you would have to shoot the minimum arrow weight.

slappy66

cause i got an itch......

shiny 308

slappy you said it in the beginning ,,,, I LOVE IT.... if you switch you probably wont be happy. If youre killing the deer why switch??

i traded a Mq1 for a drenalin... its great! Call me crazy but i loved my mq1. If i had it to do over again i wouldnt have done a thing but waxed the old MQ1 and kept on dropping meat in the freezer!!!

Chris 195 7/8 B&C

If you got the itch then go ahead and scratch it, just don't be to disappointed when your shooting in the high 280's with your draw. No doubt the z7 WILL be a smooth shooter like most Mathews but if it is that important for you to be 300 then you'll need to maybe look at a dual cam like a monster.
That Drenalin would be a heck of a backup if your itching bad enough.
Have you shot a Z7 enough to see how you like it?

slappy66

I haven't had a chance to shoot one at all. It looks like I will have to order one in my draw length first. I have check all of the places aroung and no one has a 26". I have had a double hard cam bow in the past, but it was nothing like a Mathews.

Chris 195 7/8 B&C

I haven't had a chance to shoot one at all. It looks like I will have to order one in my draw length first. I have check all of the places aroung and no one has a 26". I have had a double hard cam bow in the past, but it was nothing like a Mathews.

Exactly, and if that feel is what you are truly striving for your going to have to get off the 300 fps thing (at least for now but who knows what they may come out with next) with your draw length. At least that itch isn't too bad if you haven't shot one yet.
Call the Army Navy store in Stockbridge, they usually have a 26".

Booner Killa

I definitely would not get the z7 just to shoot over 300 fps. However, if you want to upgrade, and it's time for a new bow, that would be why i would upgrade. I've heard great things about the
z7 but it sounds like you're pretty content in your setup.

Lurch2824

You might want to check out Strother SR 71 then. It's very smooth on the draw. Not like most speed bows with harsh cams to make the speed.

Go ahead and scratch your itch you will not regret it, especially if you keep your Drenalin as a back up, but you probally want get the 300fps you would like. I have been shooting my Z7 for about 1 month now and love it. 27" 71# shooting 27" GT5575 @299fps

jordan9805

If your arrow weighs 352grn and your draw length is 26" I'm 100% possitive that the Z7 will shoot 290 fps. We've sold several and they shoot dead on the IBO. Aewsome bow, but dont get all caught up on speed. In reality it takes an arrow to shoot 650fps for a deer to not duck if they are alert.

XJfire75

Seen a few guys on AT that shoot a IBO arrow with 27" draw and 70lbs get 300+FPS with a Strother sr71!

They're supposed to be something special.

I'd go try several before just ordering the Z7 on hype. Quite a few other bows can be changed to the DL you need to shoot it in the shop. Mathews you can't but many others like Bowtech, PSE, and Diamond can be changed with a press.