Need a new ultralight spin rod

yaknfish

I mostly fly fish, but sometimes I get lazy and use the spinner.
A few years ago, I 'upgraded' my ultralight spinning rod and reel. Never really warmed up to the ABU rod. A few weeks ago it broke. So I dug out my old cheap 'glass rod that I bought 25 years ago. I like it better than the ABU. A little slower and softer. But I still feel like I could treat myself to a nicer one. Anyone have a favorite UL rod? 5'6" or shorter. Gotta be a two piece. Doesn't have to be cheap, but no $100+ pro stuff, either. Mostly used for 1/16 oz Rooster Tails and similar.
Maybe I oughta post this in the FW Fishing forum, but I thought you guys might have a better idea what I like.

kirby999

If you like the glass . Try one of the Eagle Claw 5 foot Featherlights . The Bass Pro Shops Microlite Glass is the same rod. I just picked up one and kinda like it. Great price too $20 . I teamed mine up with a Shimano Sienna 500FD and it makes for a nice little UL IMO . The new model BPS and Eagle Claws have been upgraded this year . I don't know anything about the longer ones , but the 5 footer has found a home. kirby

centerpin fan

5'6" or shorter. Gotta be a two piece.

That's a tough set of criteria: that short and two piece. Some of the cheaper rods that Walmart carries might fit that description. Bass Pro sells a Browning combo that might have those two qualities. Other than that, I'm stumped. If you're willing to go up to 6' or 6.5', you'll find LOTS more 2-piece rods.

OK, I just checked out the Browning rod at BP. Two piece models are only available in the 6' and longer rods.

Bass Pro does sell some pack rods (3 or 4 piece) -- not sure of the length, though.

kirby999

I skipped right over that two piece requirement . LOL I prefer the one piece over the 2 piece in a short rod. Take a ride up to BPS and handle the 2 piece 5 1/2 foot model . you may like it . kirby

yaknfish

Thanks! I figured a trip to Bass Pro was in order.

fishinknots

for rod i like the shakespear at walmart 14.97
for reel i like the shakespear at walmart too 17.99
cheap and decent quality.
i got a browning from BPS just two days ago. its on sale. 10 off. 19.99now.

bowfish71

I like the ugly sticks. They are good little rods in my opinion. I have 3 of the ultra lights that I shoot docks with.

kirby999

I like the ugly sticks. They are good little rods in my opinion. I have 3 of the ultra lights that I shoot docks with.

The Uglysticks are neat , but a little heavier than other rods . I've been eyeballing the Uglystick lites @ Walmart . I think they would be ideal for dock shooting , something I need to give a try this year . kirby

yaknfish

My old rod that I bought years ago feels a lot like an Ugly Stik. (At least as well as I can compare a 5'UL to my 6+' Red and Speck rod. The latest Bass Pro catalog has their MicroLite IM6 available as 5.5', 2 piece, cork handle. Or maybe a Browning...... Looks like a trip to Bass Pro is in order.

green46

St. Croix Avid is hard to beat. You may have to spend between $80 and $100 though. I have the Avid and a G Loomis that cost over twice as much. If you had your eyes closed you couldn't tell a difference in them.

centerpin fan

St. Croix Avid is hard to beat. You may have to spend between $80 and $100 though.

Don't you mean the Premier?

The Premiers retail for $99, I believe. I just checked Cabela's, and the cheapest Avid was $140.

Regardless, the Avids are excellent rods. The Premiers are good, too. I thought both were out of yaknfish's price range, though.

yaknfish

Don't you mean the Premier?

The Premiers retail for $99, I believe. I just checked Cabela's, and the cheapest Avid was $140.

Regardless, the Avids are excellent rods. The Premiers are good, too. I thought both were out of yaknfish's price range, though.

I HAVE "shopped" myself up before. ;^)
I have a St Croix 9wt that I really like. Hmmmm, for some reason, a hundred dollar fly rod sounds like a bargain, but a hundred dollar spinning rod seems excessive. Huh.

green46

You're correct. I believe mine is the Premier. Either way, I love it. I bought it a couple of years ago at Bass Pro. I used to fish with a $40 Pfleuger combo before I broke it in Arkansas. I've learned that if you spend the extra money to get a rod you're really satisfied with you'll usually save money in the long run. The G Loomis is a good rod too I just don't think it is any better than the St. Croix and it cost quite a bit more.