Leader Line Loop?

sullivanfire1

Why the loop in the leader line is it supposed to slide tight on the backing line? I am new at this and don't understand the thought behind the loop? Help Please. :confused:

Am I to assume I just tie a surgeons loop to the leader loop?

Thx

centerpin fan

I don't understand exactly what you're saying. The leader attaches to the fly line, not the backing. It goes like this:

leader to fly line
fly line to backing
backing to reel

Loops are convenient, but you don't have to use them.

Almost any basic fly fishing book will diagram all this for you. I'll try to find an online source.

Sargent

I think he meant leader to fly line.

If your fly line doesn't have a loop at the end of it, you can buy loops that attach to the end. You slip a small plastic sheath over the line and the pre-made loop and heat shrink it.

Randy

Or better yet, tie a heavy leader to your fly line with a nail knot then tie a loop in that leader to attach your regular leader to.

yaknfish

Like Randy said, loop permanantly attached the end of the fly line. Then slip the loop in the leader over the first loop and the tippet end back thru it. Pull tight. Easier to do than describe. The idea is to get a sorta rigid connection. If you tied a loop thru the loop, you'd have a hinge, and the leader won't turn over right.

Now, tying the nail not at the end of the flyline....that'll get you thinking (drinking?). Watch this: http://www.animatedknots.com/ and hold your tongue....just....right.....

Then once you learn it, you won't need it again for years.

While you're at Grog's and tying knots, learn the Surgeons knot, too. That's the one you'll use to tie on your tippet. You'll be standing in the middle of the river when you need that one.

bowbuck

Just a couple of add ons to the above. Use 40-60lb test mono to tye your permanent loop to your flyline. If when finished it's 6 inches or so long you should be about right in my mind. The last thing is buy a nail knot tool, it makes tying the nail knot that much easier. Good luck, if you can't get the hang of it, a flyshop should be able to teach you in just a couple of minutes.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I loop the end of my flyline(about 1" of fly line) and tie down with flytying thread.I then apply SHHAN to water proof.I tie a perfection knot(loop) in the butt end of my leader and do a loop to loop connection to the fly line.

Streamer

Im with paymaster, forget the short piece of mono with the loop, just make a loop on the end of your line like paymaster does, or make it using 2 or 3 nail knots covered with uv know sense. I use the nail knot method on all my lines up to 11wt and have never had one fail. The only time I dont use it is on lines with a single stain mono core, on those Ill use a long 10-12'' braided loop, attached with 2 nail knots.

sullivanfire1

Ok

Yeh, a no, now I am really :huh: !! I just tied a fishermans knot in the fly line to the loop in the leader, will it hold? If knot (pun) I will try again. I am sure it gets easier, this is my 1st time fly fishing and I am in the early stages of the learning curve. Thx, for all of the replies or in my case, the "re-ties" :D

centerpin fan

I just tied a fishermans knot in the fly line to the loop in the leader, will it hold?

Maybe.

There are many different ways to do this. Here's a very simple way:

My leader system.

I have had a ton of requests for the leader system I use.
Here it is - simple, easy to set-up and it gets fish:

1.Tie an overhand knot - a Granny knot - in the end of your fly line.
2. Get about 10 ft of 6 lb mono for the leader.
3. Tie the end of the mono around the back of the overhand knot and form an
improved clinch knot in the 6-lb mono. Trim the tag from the knot.
4. (the overhand knot substitutes for the hook eye).
5. Tie the fly to the other end of the 6-lb mono using a palomer knot.
6. Go fishing.

I got this off Ian Colin James site. He uses it for salmon, so it should work for you.

If you go here:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/ianjames/

... and scroll about half way down the page, you will see a diagram on the right.

For alternatives, any basic fly fishing book or DVD will cover this.

Streamer

sorry to confuse you, fly fisherman are good at doing that to people. :biggrin2: Stop by your closest fly shop, they'll show you how to do it, and rig it up for you.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I hate a loop connection, gets caught in the guides or otherwise causes snarls, wind knots, and aggravation. I just nail-knot the leader but to the fly line.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I don't like it much either but could never get the tying of the nail knot down!:p

sullivanfire1

It worked

Yeh, a no, now I am really :huh: !! I just tied a fishermans knot in the fly line to the loop in the leader, will it hold? If knot (pun) I will try again. I am sure it gets easier, this is my 1st time fly fishing and I am in the early stages of the learning curve. Thx, for all of the replies or in my case, the "re-ties" :D

The fishermans knot worked on a 3 lb bass I caught while fishing for bream and bluegill. But it is a pain, it does get caught in the guides.

Latest posts