considering a bow purchase

city boy gone country

I maybe considering a bow purchase and figured that if I went to an archery shop with 1k that I could get a pretty good set up. there is bow specialty shop in the Savannah area and then there's BPS. I would feel better going to the archery store due to fact that it is probably run by real archers and not just some random hourly employee.
What would be the basic equipment that I should get? I have shot bows before and did okay and I am left eye dominant. I am a little hesitant to tell them my budget limit so that I dont end up with a lot of useless gimmicks.
I have been gun hunting for several years and also have sat in the woods with my crossbow early in the season but only killed an armadillo.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

lungbuster123

If I were you I would look on like Archerytalk or a similar website and buy a slightly used bow or bow package off of there. You can get new bows even 2010's for lots off of retail price and then rig it out yourself or buy one thats loaded.

bowhunter2246

If you are talking about Wildcat Archery be careful they are really overpriced on alot of stuff, IMO.....last time i went in to have a D-loop installed real quick it cost me 7 $

city boy gone country

thanks for the advice on wildcat there bowhunter,I kinda figured that they would be on the high side. have you dealt with the guys at the archery section at bps in Sav ?
I want to purchase new so in case I have a problem I can take it back hassle free.

lungbuster123

Some of the bows on AT are new with warrenty depending on which make you get they might have a transferable warrenty. I know Elite bows have a transferable warrenty so even if your the tenth owner of the bow is covered, and they make great bows.

Andy Parker

Check out the swap and sell section on this fourm they are some good deals and still most any good archery shop can help you out if a problem ever occurs .

stick_slinger

Depends on how serious you are about becoming a bowhunter... If you are serious, Id say go to a Archery shop and sling arrows out of everything they have and get what you like best....

Or you could go to basspro and spend half they money for a package deal, for around 500 or so.. So you will pay half the money you would for a good bow.. But remember you are only getting half the bow...

Then again, I take that back lol... I would buy a one on the cheaper side first, to make sure you are going to like it.. Once you know you are gonna be playing String Music for life, then go get the real deal...

Good Luck

JCBANJO02

i

have a left handed 101st airborne on the s&s that i will give you a deal on already set up with everything you need but a release. let me know if you are interested.

thanks
jamie

stick_slinger

have a left handed 101st airborne on the s&s that i will give you a deal on already set up with everything you need but a release. let me know if you are interested.

thanks
jamie

I would definetly consider this as well.. Get a good price on a pretty good bow..

Once you get good. Then you can Upgrade to a HOYT ::ke:

Rip Steele

If you purchase new this will be the bottom line:

Bow
Sight
Rest
Release
Arrows

Quiver is optional
Bow Case is optional but recommended

With you not having anything I would say take $1200 with you. A bow alone at a higher priced bow shop will cost you around $900. Your local bow shop will have the knowledge to get you set up right the first time. Correct draw length is critical. When you buy your set-up be sure to buy a tube of string wax and keep the string waxed up. Good luck with the purchase and you will enjoy it.

Buy a HOYT :smash::smash::smash::bounce::bounce:

city boy gone country

thats why I post here for advice.Its better to get it from people of experience in the field.
Thanks again.
From what I understand about draw length its the distance from the thumb of the hand that holds the bow to the corner of your mouth,is this correct?

golffreak

You can get a new set up that will kill any deer in the country for $1000.

JBird227

GONetwork Member
If I were you I would look on like Archerytalk QUOTE]

Go to a archery shop, shoot as many bows as you can and see what YOU like best and what fits you. But I would go to archerytalk.com and buy everything off there. There is alot of really good deals and it will save you a bunch of money.

bowhunter2246

The two guys at BPS are top-notch, I believe the one i always get his name is John. They will get you set up good, they know how your form should be, and have about as good advice you could get from WildCat but for free!! I'm pretty sure they will allow you shoot all the bows at no charge. If you decide you really love bowhunting you can go on ebay sell the bow that is hardly used for almost all the money paid, then go to archerytalk get a top of the line bow at a low price, and still have only spent about 1000-1200$$, good luck

city boy gone country

is archerytalk a website or just another board on this forum? I dont mind buying high end right off the bat that way if I lose interest or my shoulder starts giving me problems again I feel that a high end Bow and acc will probably sell quicker. I dont get discouraged easily though so giving up wont be a problem.
If I have to I could up my budget a few hundred bucks without a problem.

Living Proof

Go to archery talk

on AT search ROSS Cardiac, brand new 2008 bows from a guy that bought a hundred of them and is selling for $285 TYD, awesome bow and price. you could get sight and rest and arrows at BPS.

turtlebug

If you are talking about Wildcat Archery be careful they are really overpriced on alot of stuff, IMO.....last time i went in to have a D-loop installed real quick it cost me 7 $

You're complaining about $7 for a D-loop?

I paid $10 to have a D-loop installed on my new Z7 yesterday at my local shop and I'm not complaining one bit. I know it's perfectly placed and on there solid and not coming off. I also know these guys give unlimited free advice and have gone above and beyond, tuning and re-tuning bows for their customers for free, me included.

If you don't support your local, well knowledgeable archery shops, then who are you gonna go to when they close up shop because you don't patronize them? :huh:

Go to an archery shop. :smash:

BlakeB

You're complaining about $7 for a D-loop?

I paid $10 to have a D-loop installed on my new Z7 yesterday at my local shop and I'm not complaining one bit. I know it's perfectly placed and on there solid and not coming off. I also know these guys give unlimited free advice and have gone above and beyond, tuning and re-tuning bows for their customers for free, me included.

If you don't support your local, well knowledgeable archery shops, then who are you gonna go to when they close up shop because you don't patronize them? :huh:

Go to an archery shop. :smash:

Well said. $7 didnt pay for the power bill, salary, workmans comp, building insurance,water, whatever else I've left out. Support the local shop.

bowhunter2246

I have nothing wrong with supporting the local guys, if i like them and there work.

IMO i get the same advice and gear for cheaper at my BPS then the local shop.

But by all means spend YOUR money where you please, doesn't bother me a bit