Furled Leaders

KINGFISHER

I'm wondering if furled leaders are popular with the rest of you. Ever since I first tried one, I haven't used anything else. I even use a sinking flurocarbon furled leader on my sink tips. The ease of tying tippets onto the metal ring coupled with how well they turn over flies had me sold from the beginning! Is it just me, or do the rest of you use them as well?

Sargent

I have made about 10 with red uni-thread. I coat them with floatant prior to each use.

I haven't tried the ones with the metal ring.

stasher1

I have a couple for my bass rigs but I haven't used them yet. My line doesn't have a loop at the end, and I don't have any mono heavy enough to tie on a mono loop.

For my trout/panfish rigs I've been using the SA L2L Reconnect leaders with 2mm tippet rings. They work well and I don't have to tie any complicated knots on the water, like standard leaders.

fishinbub

I use mono and uni thread leaders. They are great! I guy over on NGTO sent me a few flouro leaders, I haven't gotten a chance to test them yet but they look great.

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'm still old school; tapered leaders with tippet material knotted on when appropriate. I have gone to fluoro tippets at least.

flyfisher76544

I have honestly never tried em. So I did some research.....so I guess I am gonna have to give it a go.

http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/may2006/185

Shows you how to make em.

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pbcVaEe3RIs"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pbcVaEe3RIs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

RScott

Love 'em

Make my own now, flouro, mono, Uni thread - they all have their place, but easy to make and last a lot longer than tapered or knotted leaders. Just add tippet....

I have even made them out of mono sewing thread and one has been on my 5wt for four Cherokee hawg trips....

RScott

yaknfish

I'd never even considered them. But that video makes it look easy. What weight mono are you all tying (twisting) them with?

luv2drum

I just did a "practice run" with some 12 # berkley trilene XT. It took me a few tries, but I finally started getting the hang of it.

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
I also made a couple last night with 6 lb. mono. Thanks to all who have taught me something new. I don't get the "metal ring", however. What is it and where is it located along the leader?

Sargent

I have honestly never tried em. So I did some research.....so I guess I am gonna have to give it a go.

http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/may2006/185

Shows you how to make em.

<EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/pbcVaEe3RIs width=425 height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowScriptAccess="always" allowfullscreen="true">

That is a heck of a lot easier than doing it on the jig.

I may have a project for tonight.

KINGFISHER

I also made a couple last night with 6 lb. mono. Thanks to all who have taught me something new. I don't get the "metal ring", however. What is it and where is it located along the leader?

Whoops! Didn't make that clear did I. I purchase my furled leaders from Feather Craft and they have tiny metal rings assembled on the end. You can also purchase the rings and install them yourself if you tie your own leaders. They are not necessary, but they make changing tippets alot faster and you never even know they are there when you cast.

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
I made two. The first one ended up only being 5 ft. long so I cut and stretched another piece and it finished at 6'6". I fished it yesterday afternoon and liked it. It did turn over well and didn't seem to bother the bream any. It seems to me however that it is only as strong as whatever test line you make it out of since the last loop is not doubled. It does add another loop and knot in the system which might worry some nymph fishermen. But you gotta like the price.

flyfisher76544

i made two. The first one ended up only being 5 ft. Long so i cut and stretched another piece and it finished at 6'6". I fished it yesterday afternoon and liked it. It did turn over well and didn't seem to bother the bream any. It seems to me however that it is only as strong as whatever test line you make it out of since the last loop is not doubled. It does add another loop and knot in the system which might worry some nymph fishermen. But you gotta like the price.

x2!!!

yaknfish

Just made a few.

I'll preface this by saying that I can tie knots in a leader that are not to be found in any book. Without trying.

I had a half a spool of 17lb mono left over. So that's what I used. The first try ended up in the trash. The second one just about convinced me that I don't need a fly rod to ruin a piece of mono. The third one, I figured out some tricks:

1. It works better standing up than sitting down. Walking around the house works better.
2. When you double the line to make the loops, keep the loops small. they'll get a little bigger.
3. Keep the two ends as far away from each other as possible. I found that putting one side over my left ear worked great.
3. Stop twisting every 8 inches or so and shake the twists out of all the (3) ends.

Now, to see how they fish.