Your first deer or turkey with a bow

Deerhead

I remember my first deer I shot with bow like it was yesterday and the feeling I had. Tell us about yours.

Rip Steele

First deer I shot with a bow was in the evening. I shot over it the first time, but it didn't know what happened so I had another chance and nailed it. It was a long shot about 10 yards :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Grey Man

You're not gonna believe this, but I was ground hunting barely past first light when a spike walked straight toward me. He turned right 7 yards away, and when he stepped our from behind the tree I was hiding behind he was so close he filled my peep sight. Seven yards away on the ground! It was 20 years ago and I'll never forget.

KryptikPro

First deer with a bow was a big 9 point. I watched him in a creek bottom feed on acorns for almost an hour. He finally got close enough and presented me with a shot and I took it. He jumped up and took one step and stopped...he started looking around like "what just happened" and I reached for another arrow. As I did he became a little drunk, started leaning back and forth, then bam! Straight to the ground. He had no idea what hit him. That was my first deer with a bow and my first buck ever. He is on my wall as we speak and is still one of the nicest bucks I've ever taken.

Bow Only

The first deer I killed with a bow was a doe, and the arrow hit a limb and brained her through the nose. I finished her with a pocket knife and it was horrible. I vowed not to ever let that happen again. An awful experience.

Never killed a deer but I missed one and it was the purest form of hunting adrenaline I have ever had. I have killed a hog though. shot him at twenty five yards. Was very happy with the kill. The only thing Im taking to the stand this year will be the ole Matthews.

GaBuckSlammer

23 years ago I shot my first deer ever with a bow. In fact, it was my first buck, a basket racked 9 point. Opening morning of gun season I sat in the same pine tree my daddy had sat in 5 weeks earlier and was successful from. He had killed a 105" 9 point. However, the deer I shot I shot straight down out of the climber not 10 minutes after getting in the stand. For the first 100 yards I had a great blood trail, then it was gone. With the help of a friend, we circled and almost gave up when we walked up on my buck 200 yards later. Its on my wall, and its not my biggest, but it earns a spot based on memorability.

muzzy17is

My first deer with a bow was a doe. She was about 25 yards and when I shot my arrow hit a branch and hit her in the top of her foot and cut her leg right above the hoove. She jumped and took 5 steps and stopped and started liking her wound. I knock another arrow and nailed her. She went about 50 yards and dropped next to a tree on the side of a feild. It was so exited on that second shot I could barely knock my arrow.

schreck_1

19 years ago. My first deer ever was a basket rack 7pt. Shot him with a 55lb Proline Force 2. XX75 2117's and Silvertip broadheads.
He had a maple branch caught in his antlers as he stood at the edge of a field 15 yrds from my stand. If I think about it hard enough I almost get the shakes.

hikingthehills

Got 2 does on my birthday this year. Then got one more the day after and that was all. For my first year bow hunting I love it!

Jayrod

'bout 23 years or so ago I left my college dorm one evening and drove to Heard County with my Indian Xi bow that had been chrono'd about 145fps w/XX75s tipped with Thunderhead 125s got in my stand and waited, after a couple of hours two does showed up. I shot one and she ran about 25 yards and crashed. The other ran off.

The next evening I was on a date with my future wife and I wanted to take her and show her where I had shot this doe. We went to the deer woods and decided to get up in the stand (both of us) I had my bow, but I was not dressed to hunt. I still remember, I was wearing a green and Black striped shirt, blue jeans and white tennis shoes. After we had been there about 20 minutes a doe came up and I took a shot...That was my 2nd deer with a bow.

Later the next year, I asked my wife to marry at that deer club.:yeah:

Leather Lung

My first bow kill was not a deer or turkey...it was a cotton tail rabbit...

Double lung!!!

Attachments

• IMG00168.jpg
    IMG00168.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 443

Leather Lung

By the way...that's a really bad picture but all I had was my phone to take it with. The rabbit took the 100 grain field tip arrow from my Hoyt at about 5 yards through the spindles on my deck right behind the shoulder. One of my favorites...

satchmo

My first deer ever

January 17 1981. 42 lbs dressed. I can remember it like it was yesterday.

Attachments

• first deer ever.jpg
    first deer ever.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 413

deast1988

After deciding to get serious about bow hunting. Back in 2006 I got a 60lb reflex dialed in and practiced all summer. I had a 15, 25, 35 pin no range finder. Opening day got me 4 misses. Each arrow was low furthest arrow from my tree 35yds. 2 more misses I was ready to throw the bow out the tree. Both Inside 30yds too. Well near the end of that bow season made a trip to basspro got a range finder. Practiced guessing the distance then zapping the range got good to. 30yds, I walk to my stand release on, it was the Friday evening before muzzleloader so I had to hunt back then I'd put the bow down soon as the boomers came into play. You guessed it, jumped up a doe bedded in scuppling vines near my stand. She busted I drew on her she stopped I hadn't made a range so I put 25yds on her she looked further put 35yds right in the bottom of her chest. Zap, seen the arrow blow through 85gr spitfire she did the monster bronco kick rain about. 40 yds and crashed 20yds from my tree.

Hunter454

Mine was a big doe 14 years ago, I was sitting in a ladder stand on the edge of the road near a pond, she came out with 2 yearlings right underneath me and spooked when I stood up and bounced across the road (about 25 yds) I drew and shot hitting right above the chocolate starfish (rectum in laymen terms ;-) ) severing the femoral artery, she walked 20 yds and fell over graveyard dead, one of the yearlings stood at 12 yd and I stuck him too, he ran 15 yds and got tangled up in a muskedine vine I was one happy kid

Led Zeppelin

10-16-99, I was 8 years old. I had a total of 3 arrows in my quiver and i had to use all 3. i shot twice and missed twice. lucky for me it a was young button buck so he kept coming back and on the third try i got him. he was probably 10 yards away. i was shooting from a box stand using a pse youth bow with wasp fixed 3 blade broadheads. i was having to stand on a milk crate so that i could actually shoot through the window of the box stand. remember it like it was yesterday.

Warrenco

Had a big doe and a small doe walk the edge of the woods and feed around for a while, finally the smaller one came to me, I drew back when she went behind a bush but she never came out. She bedded down behind the bush. Grunted, whistled, etc but she never moved. Finally some rustling in the wood got her to stand up and I double lunged her. This was 15 years ago and many deer ago ��