Orvis Zero Gravity rod

Doc_Holliday23

Anybody have or used a ZG? I bought a 2 pc, 8.5' 4 wt the other day at the Warehouse sale. Just too cheap to pass up. Orvis discontinued these rods in favor of their Helios line a couple of years ago. Wondering if anyone had experience with one... or perhaps could recommend a reel that won't break the bank...

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'm recommending a Hardy lightweight (flyweight, LRH, etc.). It is a classic and a joy to fish with.Includes the distinctive Hardy "click". While they don't give them away, it's nothing to get 20 years of service out of one and that's just $11.25 per year.
That's the way I've always rationalized mine.:D

yaknfish

I think you did good. I have a Konic on my salty rod and really like it. I think about putting one on my 4wt all the time.

Pittard

Hey Doc, How was that sale? I would have gone myself but it happened to be the weekend of openning day and we went camping instead. I heard about it from a friend who said it is hit or miss...just wondering what your experience was.

Doc_Holliday23

Hey Doc, How was that sale? I would have gone myself but it happened to be the weekend of openning day and we went camping instead. I heard about it from a friend who said it is hit or miss...just wondering what your experience was.

It was typical I guess. they always have good deals on rods. Clearwaters were $89, TLS for $139, T3 and ZG's for $159, and Helios and Hydros around $350, I think. Also some pretty good deals on waders, though finding your size is always a craps shoot. 60-70% off on everything.

I should have bought some fly line... just didn't remember how expensive the stuff was.

Of course, they had a ton of stuff for dogs, some nice deals on luggage, and all of the shirts and pants you could want, all $24. I had 3 pairs of pants in my hands before I decided to buy the rod instead.

They used to have a lot of hunting stuff at these sales but the last 3 or 4 years they have had next to nothing. I've bought 2 bird hunting vests there for a total of $90 (my strap vest is $149, regularly.)

Overall, if you want a new rod, its heaven. Only problem is there is no warranty, but the rods are all new, made in Vermont. Absolutely no difference in them and the one you buy at the store, though they do have an "R" stamped on the grip.