Snapping Turtle Bycatch

KINGFISHER

After ripping up carpet all day Saturday, I thought I deserved a quick trip down to the pond to continue breaking in my new 7wt TFO Axiom(which is a ridiculously awesome rod by the way!) I took one fly only, a Meat Whistle, and proceded to hop it along the bottom. My line tightened and I quickly strip-set, hooking into what I thought was a good size bass. As I was reeling it in, I realized that whatever it was it was pretty heavy, but also that it was coming straight at me and not swimming in any other direction. Then I saw it! A big 'ol, mean, ugly snapping turtle. I've caught turtles on live bait before, but never on a fly! Well, not wanting to lose one of my favorite flies, I decided I was gonna get it out of big ugly's mouth. Tried to pull'em up by the tippet, but that proved too much for 10lb flurocarbon. Wasn't able to personally get a pic, but found one of the same size for your viewing pleasure:) So big ugly has a new nose ring and I have my first turtle on the fly:)

Attachments

• common%20snapping%20turtle_JPG.jpg
    common%20snapping%20turtle_JPG.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:

overbrook

I've caught many of them on hotdogs when I was a kid ...but never a fly! Congrats ....I think? LOL

Hotdogs are great bait by the way...I've caught catfish,brim,crappie, bass...you name it.....they all love hotdogs! :rofl:

KINGFISHER

but did you save your fly?

The part that says big ugly got a new nose ring was pertaining to the Meat Whistle still being lodged in his upper mouth as he swam away:) I normally hate losing any fly, but I especially liked that one. Just gonna have to sit down and tie up some more Meat Whistles I guess:)