Shooting while bulked up?

Al33

For bowhunting in cold weather, what do you do to keep from becoming so bulked up with clothing it becomes difficult to shoot?

I try to wear a vest underneath and keep my arms slimmed down so the string want hit the sleeve. I have even used tape to wrap the arm tighter. Got any tricks you care to share?

Al

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Browning makes an insulated jacket that is fitted essentially for bow hunters. You can also use a good forearm protector to insure your jacket sleeves don't interfere with the string.

A Polypropolene base should help also. Poly is super warm and it's so warm I have a hard time wearing the long sleeve t-shirts in expedition weight especially if I have to hike very far in.

I bet you could get them sleeveless or just cut the sleeves off from a poly t-shirt and that might would help some.

Arrow Flinger

All I do different is use a long arm guard to keep the puff down. I too wear an insulated vest instead of a heavy jacket to reduce the bulk on my arms.

Just 1 More

This can relate back to a draw length that is to long. I keep my draw about 1/2 to 1" less than what I'm told it should be. It keeps my left elbow bent out just a little,,, but definitly enough as to not allow interference with any clothing. That being said... I like the rubber band idea or the arm guard if you really need it

Scrub

This is a simple and cheap (30 cents) thing i use to keep my sleeve from hitting the string, knee high panty hose, just cut the foot out. Spray it down with scent killer and i put them on my coat before i put the coat on me. works great.

flat foot

We hunt West Virgina in Dec 15 -25 degree's Bowhunt only. Polypro and Thinsulate, most of the cold comes from sweating these two products allows the moisture to excape but keeps in the warmth. We also zip-tie Seat warmer pads to the platform of the treestands to keep the feet cozy. Take your time getting to the stand don't work up a sweat. PS, I love this forum wish I found sooner.

tknight

I have found that you definately get what you pay for when it comes to quality cold weather gear, don't skimp here. I like to use good bibs and maybe a thin jacket as well as my vest, hand muffs are a must, remember head feet and hands are where you loose alot of heat. Thinking about trying the artic shield bibs later this year.

waterman

Has anyone tried the hand warmer that fits over your hand and release? Thought about making one after I saw it in a magazine.... My problem is not with the sleeves but with my face masks. I use two reference points, one is my thumb behind my neck and the other a vane in the corner of my mouth and no peep. Face masks and even bug nets create problems for me. Luckily it has not been cold enough to need much cold weather gear.

P.S this is my 1st bow only season and loving it!!!!

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
I seen a friend of mine use a nylon mesh mask on his arm to keep clothing out of the way of the string. He cuts a hole in the top part (where your head would be) and slides it on his arm. By the looks of it it seemed to work good.

robertyb

If you are anchoring behind your neck you are overdrawing your bow at least two or three inches. I intentionally overdraw as I have a shattered left elbow and have to overdraw to get a 26" draw. I anchor with my thumb in the hollow under my ear.

Most people think they need to draw 29 or 30 inches because that is what "everyone does" and they are overdrawing and causing problems. The average shooter should anchor at the corner of their lip or with the string just touching the tip of their nose.

Shooting the proper draw length will solve most of your string slap problems.