Second time out flyfishing with grandpa's rod I finally scored.

winmutt

Never really done any fly fishin. Went up on the hooch north of helen this weekend and wasnt catching anything with my spinner (white rooster tail has always done good before). Figured I might as well break out the fly rod since I wasn't catching anything. Caught 2 trout right away in the same place I hadn't caught anything before. This season was first time that rod has been used in 25+ years. Picked up a NIB 60's vintage auto reel to use with it. Felt pretty good (hoping I made the old man proud in his grave). He died from lung cancer fishing in the cooling ponds from Trojan nuclear plant... Go figure. Maybe the rod glows at night too?

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Good deal. Welcome to the fly fishing forum too!:clap:

winmutt

I'm pretty much a noob around here in general. Haven't been fishing in years (never had much luck). Last year my step sisters neighbor took me and my nephew up by alt75 and even though I didn't catch anything I got the fever. Been up there this year 5? times now and have generally caught one or 2. First time I went up there was still snow on the ground! It was pretty cool packing the fish in snow.... Last friday I caught 5 (spinner) and spent 15min or so dicking around with the fly rod without much luck. Went back on sunday when I caught the two on the rod. Used a black caddi. Going again this weekend and the following and probably every weekend for the rest of my life if I can manage it heh. So relaxing. Still waiting to catch limit. Promised the cleaning lady at work (she likes fishing lakes down south) I'd bring her one if I hit limit.