Artificials Technique?

hntr2k

So, I'm on the GON forum and a lot of talk for spring Speckled Trout fishing goes to artificial lures. I've read a bunch of colors and patterns, but I see much less talk of presentation.

Can someone or everyone tell me their favorite rigging, cast and retrieve presentation for Specks? Do you carolina rig them? Texas Rig? Naked with a jig? Do I just go with a center-weighted jig hook? Or perhaps one of those little lead-heads with the eyeballs on them? What sort of weight are we talking about with, say, a four-to-six inch paddle tail? (1/16 - 1/8 etc) Do you swim them back to you above the bottom in a steady pull, or drop them to the bottom and twitch them a little bit at a time? Are swirly-tails as good as the ones with the roundish paddle thing on the tail? Do you toss them into deeper water, or are they for the grass and mud flats?

Sooo many questions, but none of them are, "What are the GPS coordinates to where you park your boat to cast?" LOL. Just basic, general fishing tips questions.

sentrysam

doa

No weight on a fluro leader the length you are comfortable with.Strong tide I use a weighted jig head,keep my line tight and let the tide do the work,in the grass ,i use a bass hook,weedless style,just like a fresh water basser,the more natural ,the more betta,crank and stick baits will work also,.(spinner baits too).thats my story and i'm stickin to it..

wharfrat

little lead head with eyeballs, light as you can stand and feel the bottom. slow little hops. if you think its to slow, go slower. toss em in any depth. the depth where the trout are works best. gotta experiment with the plastics and use what you like or what the trout like, or both. stickin a 3' gulp shrimp on the jighead can be pretty effective as well. hope that helps a little! off to work!

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
man i got that orange boat 3 years ago in the fall, and i went sea trout fishing for the first time. actually my fist time inshore on a boat !!!
i went to the store first and got a pack of bi color 1/4 oz jig heads, green and white, and gulp pumkinseed swimming mullets. i trolled around the edges of the bay, cast and retrieve just like jiggin for crappie around the house and i just caught trout everywhere i went. so thats still my favorite rig. now i add a 1 to 1 1/2 ft 30 lb leader, that helps hold the fish that pull into the grass or against oysters or barnacles.
good info and tips from all you guys!! thanks again!!!!

hntr2k

Great Advice

Thanks to all who added to this learning experience.

I never thought slower would be better, but I'm a novice at some of this stuff, so...I gotta try everything until I get it right.

Thanks again.

:cheers:

PaulD

Banned
30# leader is a lot! I usually toss 15# when I'm in structure and 8# when it's just grass beads. Fluro-carbon always as trout are sight feeders. Also I agree 100% that slow is the way to go when the water is cold but when the water starts to warm up make that baby move! I've seen many, many times where the guy that was really moving it got more fish and much more agressive strikes in warm water. Make them feed off of reflex rather than letting them look at it. Like I said though, that's for warm water. When that water gets cold and the fishes motabolic system slows down, your bait needs to do the same.

Capt. Richie Lott

I don't know what Paul sent you on a PM, but we fish pretty much the same, so I am sure he told you right.... Whatever you do, just keep it movin. Many people still troll with small outboads along banks for trout with grubs simply holding the rod in their hand as they troll down the bank as slow as the engine will run.

#30 leader is pretty heavy for Trout Fishing IMO.... I use #17 Flourocarbon since I always fish structure for Trout.

Mweathers

I like 1/4 jigs with a gulp shrimp, or a 1/4 DOA (electric chicken and gold flake are my favorites) I use no more than 8lb mono, tied directly to the lure. Up into the current and reel back very slowly. Sometimes I even use a little WD40 or a commercial scent on them.

Mike

crackerdave

Wildeye Shad will tear 'em up,sometimes.Reel 'em in steady,with short twitches all the way.

sea trout

ok pauld and captin richie. i use my 30 pound leader for everything, red drum and sheephead,flounder, and lots of times i hook a big bonnet head on a gulp shrimp too. i target trout, i guess,but my fishing style i catch everything else on accident (cant seem to catch them on purpouse anyway ha ha).
do ya'll still think i should go down in leader size??
if ya'll reckon it, i'll try it so let me know. if lighter leader gives me more hookups i'm all for it!!! but if a 26 inch red cuts that leader off in the grass....... we all know thats a heartbreaker.
thanks again.

captainhook

I use 15 and 20 lb fluoro and I ve never had a break off in grass. As a matter of fact when I get snagged on shells its tough to break. Your arties are going to have a lot better action on light leader. The places I fish the water is usually quite clear and big trout will shy from a leader. I use those two weight leaders for plastic and plugs. Topwater plugs are very much affected by leader weight and I catch most of my big fish on topwaters.

PaulD

Banned
Like was just said, a 26" red isn't going to break you off with 15# fluro. Not unless you let him rub his face all in a oyster rake.
I've caught more over slot fish than you can count on 8# fluro.

sea trout

alright! i'm gonna go downsize to 15 or so pound leader. i'm anxious to see a difference!
yes pauld, somtimes fighting reds in the bay i have to take a smoke break and they've rubbed faces on oyster rakes. jetties, light houses, boat propellers.......you name it! i think with the lighter leader i'll wait till after the picture to take a smoke break!
thanks for the tip pauld and captinhook! good luck to ya on the water!

PaulD

Banned
Wait till you've got your can of snuff open and holding it in the same hand as your rod, other hand removing a pinch and a red picks up your jig. The whole can off snuff goes on the deck of your boat, you unsuccessfully try to cram the one in your fingers in your mouth and the fish breaks you off. Resulting in you hossing off the deck, complaning about not having any more snuff and pouting about loosing the fish. :D

sea trout

i understand completly pauld! stress is just not as fun without tobacco.
i would have to sweep the deck with my tide chart pile all the snuff i could, try to sepaerate the fish scales and shrimp shell and dip what i could, if i was in that situation. ha!
i am anxious to try lighter leader this year! as always i appreciate the advice!

Rich M

I spent the last 13 years in FL fishing Mosquito lagoon and the associated ICW.

Always use 10# main line and 25# Trilene XT leader. Good for sheephead to tarpon and all points in between. My biggest poon on the above set-up was in the 80-90 pound bracket and took an hour to get in.

Many guys I've fished with have poo-pooed the leader and by the end of the day all have been using it after losing 1 or more fish due to not having it. Trout aren't going to break anything because they really can't, but it only takes 1 oyster or barnacle to lose a fish.

My dad likes 20# flouro. I don't think it holds up as well as the XT. Last time I used 20# flouro as a leader I lost a 32" +/- snook and didn't care to do that again.

Try a Gambler paddle tail in avocado and see what happens. Don't set right away, hesitate a bit on your strike - kinda let the fish pull the rod tip down about 10 degrees or so. You'll get everything from flounder to tarpon in it.