Your thoughts on arrows

KryptikPro

I am looking to get new arrows because mine now are a little too stiff. I shoot the RedHead Kryptik Pro with a 28 inch draw and pulling 71lbs. The arrows I have now are the RedHead Carbon Supreme Lite hunter 350s cut at 28 inches. They are possibly cut just a little too short. Should I get the same arrows and cut them around 29 or 30 inches? I was also thinking about going with the Easton Excel 340s because they are around the same GPI, 9.5 as opposed to 9.8. Or even the Carbon Supreme Lite 350s (9.1 gpi). I don't want an arrow thats really heavy, but I don't want one that's really light either. I want something with good speed and some mass. Let me know what you guys think and get your opinions on the arrows I mentioned and others. Thanks.

Gold tip makes a great arrow man, and their lighter than what you got. The Vapor pro 300's are like 8.5 per inch while the xt pro's are 8.9. You don't need pro's for deer hunting but they would make for a great arrow.

Trophy ridge makes some great arrows too. I have a couple dozen Crush arrows and their excellent hunting arrows. The straightest arrow made and they seem to br nearly indestructable. Trophy Ridge also sells the hailfire, blast and something else.

Either way, you would not go wrong. Have fun

ClydeWigg3

Slow and steady gets the job done. Carbon Express has some new arrows this year - the Piledriver and the Mayhem. A light arrow might fly fast, but a heavy one will put the mojo on some deer and push through tough spots for better penetration.

Rip Steele

X2 on Goldtip XT's. If you have a 28" draw your arrows should be cut to about 27" inches.

GusGus

Beman or Easton, you cant go wrong either way.

SteadyHoyt12's

A little bit lighter but a great arrow

I love my easton light speeds 500. You have a longer draw length than me so you would probably have to shoot the 400 i believe they are around 8.9 GPI and they always get the job done for me with proper shot placement and of course that is the key no matter what arrow you shoot.

hunterb

carbon express maxima hunters....a higher end arrow but I am shooting some of my tightest groups ever

Bow Only

I shoot Axis and Full Metal Jackets. I did "shoot out the spine" on my Axis arrows but they are still accurate enough for what I do. The FMJ have done a good job and I think I have only broken one. The smaller diameter the arrow, the better penetration you will have.

ClydeWigg3

I shot Axis arrows last year. This year upon getting my Carbon Express Piledrivers I did some unscientific tesing between the two arrows.

I have some stryofoam blocks I use for practice that are 13" thick. I found that at 20 yards the Piledrivers penetrated an average of 8" deeper than the Axis arrows. Keep in mind that the Piledrivers are a "traditional" sized arrow in diameter (larger than the Axis arrows). I'm shooting a 26 1/4" arrow at 60#. Of course the further back I moved there was less penetration for both arrows.

The only thing that would have caused this deeper penetration is the heft of the arrow. I do not know what effect the liquid lubrication of an animal would have on the penetration - but we shall see in the Fall.

Yes, you get flatter trajectory from a light weight arrow - which will allow you to use fewer pins, but what are you giving up when you need heft to get through a thick shoulder?

ClydeWigg3

One more thought on this - Travis Turner recently asked the question: "Would you rather get hit with a ping pong ball at 100 mph, or a brick at 50 mph?"