Sunbury 5/2/2010

Robert 31320

My first trip of 2010, first time boat has been in the water in 9 months (mighty embarrassed about that).

Found plenty of bait shrimp in short order this morning. Anchored in one of our best spots within sight of the ramp and caught a nice mess of whiting. Tried a float for trout for a while and only caught a BIG bonnethead. Decided not run around and try other spots due to the muddy water conditions and wind.

....and for the genius that created ETHANOL additive for gas......I have something extra special for you if we ever get to meet. You BETTER hope we don't! :shoot:

It was still great to be back on the water! :cool:

I'll holler.

Capt. Richie Lott

....and for the genius that created ETHANOL additive for gas......I have something extra special for you if we ever get to meet. You BETTER hope we don't! :shoot:

QUOTE]

Aint that the truth... If you don't run the boat regularly, it's a mess to deal with even with Stabil from what I have seen with guys on SSI and the Marina down here at Hickory Bluff from the guys that let their boats sit up this winter.... Not good..

I agree with ya..

tcb294

Robert, Don't you have a yamaha? I still had problems after changing the filter and the "on-motor" filter and draining my old fuel. I tracked the problem down to the screen in the VST tank, it was all gunked up. It ran fine under 4300 rpm but spit and sputted when you gave it full throtle. There's a couple of post over on "thehulltruth" about the VST screen. If you need help with it, let me know. What's your gas look like. I use sta-bil every fill up and still had problems. Pour it out of your filter into a glass if you don't have a racor. If it looks like Mt Dew it's bad.

IMG00096.jpg

Robert 31320

Robert, Don't you have a yamaha? I still had problems after changing the filter and the "on-motor" filter and draining my old fuel. I tracked the problem down to the screen in the VST tank, it was all gunked up. It ran fine under 4300 rpm but spit and sputted when you gave it full throtle. There's a couple of post over on "thehulltruth" about the VST screen. If you need help with it, let me know. What's your gas look like. I use sta-bil every fill up and still had problems. Pour it out of your filter into a glass if you don't have a racor. If it looks like Mt Dew it's bad.

Tom,

Yes, It's a Yamaha 115 4-stroke.

It ran good first thing then cut back to about 3400 RPM. I shut it off and pumped the bulb up good and tight and it choked some of the crap through it and I could get to about 5000 and would sputter then.

What is the VST tank?

I have a RACOR but I haven't taken it off yet. Wanted to wait until I had a new one before I removed it.

Where are you buying ethanol-free gas?

tcb294

VST=Vapor Separator Tank, Located under cowling on port side. In the tank is a fuel pump the screen filter is on the end. Here's a few pics I grabed from another site. You can see how small the screen is. Sounds like you got a good case of it. If it gets past the VST filter the next screen is in your injectors. Top left in Pic #1 is a filter you need to change also.

Pic_11.jpg

Pic_21.jpg

Pic_41.jpg

68V-13915-00-00-2T.jpg

You can buy ethanol free at Clyde's Market, Shellman Buff and Richmond Hill, Sunbury Dock, Ft Mac and Strickland Oil in Pooler. I'll probably still burn some ethanol just try not to store any.

If you decide to tackle it yourself, let me know, I have some more info for you.

Last edited:

Capt. Richie Lott

This is EXACTLT what happened to my buddy Clark on His 27 Contender... He has 200 HPDI's and his boat had sat for a couple of months over the Summer. They went to Apalach to go bottom fishing last Fall and the port engine wouldn't run over 2200 RPM.

When Jim Harris got it apart, it was in that silver tank on the side of the powerhead. I never knew what it was called.... BUt that was the problem.

FYI: He ran STABIL FOR ETHANOL. Didn't work....:mad:

Robert 31320

Thanks Tom. I will likely tackle it myself, bring on the info...PLEASE!

Additional, gas out of the racor looks real good. The color of yours on the left in the picture. I think I'm going to try a portable tank with Sea Foam on my next outing and see what happens.

Last edited:

tcb294

Sent you a PM Robert. I've read some solved the problem with a portable tank with some injector cleaner in it. Mine was so clogged I don't think that would have worked. I had a little in a couple of the injector screens. 160 hours, go figure!

Last edited: