Where did they go?

amc5

5 birds taken this year off and area of about 600 acres. Last 3 weekends (and 2 guys this whole past week) haven heard a sound or seen any. My first year turkey hunting btw. Do these birds just pick up and move sometimes? First 5 birds killed were very nice. Trail cams at beginning of season showed alot more than 5 birds.

Do you think they are still out there? Or do you think they have picked up and moved on somewhere else? Just strange that almost every weekend for a month someone shoots one or hears/sees them then all of a sudden nothing.

Ideas?

Thanks

hoppie

Lockjaw seems to have set in. The birds in many places have locked it down a little, but all it takes is being there that morning they decide enough is enough and bust loose again. Birds are there I am sure, just not talking.

Huntinfool

Saturday morning you would have thought there was not a single turkey in the dang woods. I mean completely silent....until about 8:30.

Then all of a sudden one big boy broke out in song about 300 yards away from me. Watched him gobble and strut all the way down a main road. It was very cool....and he was VERY lonely.

GA DAWG

I heard one get killed Saturday morning AT 6:45AM..Gobbled 3 times and boom.My buddy killed him..Heard one gobble twice fri morning...Heard zero Thur morning..Worst week of the season for me..I hope they come back strong this weekend!

G Duck

Lockjaw, with some, Some may have been pressured , and Freezer burn with the others.

TenPtr

5 birds taken this year off and area of about 600 acres. Last 3 weekends (and 2 guys this whole past week) haven heard a sound or seen any. My first year turkey hunting btw. Do these birds just pick up and move sometimes? First 5 birds killed were very nice. Trail cams at beginning of season showed alot more than 5 birds.

Do you think they are still out there? Or do you think they have picked up and moved on somewhere else? Just strange that almost every weekend for a month someone shoots one or hears/sees them then all of a sudden nothing.

Thanks

There are many possibilities.

1. Pressure: 600 acres is a nice sized tract of land. However, there is likely far less acreage that is ideal turkey habitat. If there have been 5 birds taken off the tract already and multiple hunters are still hunting it....its been pressured...IMO over pressured. I would not kill anymore than 5 birds on that sized tract but Im more conservative than others. If you arent hearing birds over an extended period of time then theres nothing to blame other than over harvest/pressure and/or-

2. Habitat: This is the nesting season as well as planting season for many crops. Hens disperse this time of year in search of adequate nesting/brood rearing habitat. The gobblers will follow.
There are a lot of crops being put in the ground right now. This means there are many alternative food sources than just your native vegetation and bugs. Gobblers are starting to search for food more so than they were in the early-peak phases of the breeding season. This time of year is very comparable to the latest phase of the whietail rut.

Never gather a census for your turkey population during the fall and winter months unless your property is very large and offers proper habitat for all phases of the breeding season.

bowboy1989

They may left I have hunted places before and then one day the birds just leave no sign or nothin

Public Land Prowler

There are many possibilities.

1. Pressure: 600 acres is a nice sized tract of land. However, there is likely far less acreage that is ideal turkey habitat. If there have been 5 birds taken off the tract already and multiple hunters are still hunting it....its been pressured...IMO over pressured. I would not kill anymore than 5 birds on that sized tract but Im more conservative than others. If you arent hearing birds over an extended period of time then theres nothing to blame other than over harvest/pressure and/or-

2. Habitat: This is the nesting season as well as planting season for many crops. Hens disperse this time of year in search of adequate nesting/brood rearing habitat. The gobblers will follow.
There are a lot of crops being put in the ground right now. This means there are many alternative food sources than just your native vegetation and bugs. Gobblers are starting to search for food more so than they were in the early-peak phases of the breeding season. This time of year is very comparable to the latest phase of the whietail rut.

Never gather a census for your turkey population during the fall and winter months unless your property is very large and offers proper habitat for all phases of the breeding season.
I agree...5 birds is alot taken..for 600 acres,and agree as well winter and spring usage varies..same goes for deer,hogs,etc..seasons change,and the animals change with it.

Not only does usage change from season to season..it almost changes weekly.Generally every 2 weeks the animals are changing what they are doing.

muckalee

Im with you guys. I am able to hunt 600 acres. We have taken 4 longbeards and left one for seed. Seen a few jakes too.

5 Longbeards is a lot of turkeys off of 600 acres. Feel blessed you have got that many.

We usually kill 2-4 longbeards every year off the 600 acres.