Peppered one this morning

24point

Well long story short. I made a bad shot on a good bird this morning. Now I'm sick cause I'm not sure if he'll live or not. It took a couple feathers off of him and he jumped up and flew about 200 yards with one of his legs hanging down. Do you guys think he will live? And if he lives to see tomorrow do you think he might be back at the same place in the morning?

reelsouthern1220

Sorry to hear bout that bud..but I would think he has a good chance of living..if there is one thing I have learned turkeys are a tough bird..but I would think he would take some time off from chasin' the ladies for a couple days..but to be honest who knows:huh:

Nitro

Banned
Maybe.

Leg hanging means a body hit.

They are tough, but one never knows. Call em in close and shoot for the neck. Hard break for both of you.

24point

It happened real fast, he had two hens with him and wouldn't come in and he just got in range and was about to walk off so I figured if I was going to shoot I better go ahead and do it so I had to turn a little and he saw me when I did and started to run. I guess thats why I made such a bad shot

I did the same thing in 2004, except I hit mine in the wing butt, and he ran off dragging his wing. It's still the only bird I've ever called in and/or shot at. I guess I'm still paying my penance for taking a bad shot and losing a bird, but I keep hoping my bad luck streak will end one of these days.

SwampMoss

I would go to the last place you saw him when he landed. It sounds like he was hit hard. He will more than likely crawl under some brush and die. I have had it happen to me twice before. One time the bird walked off as if he was not hurt. Went to hunt another area the old man I was hunting with told me go back and look for your bird. I found him laying under a tree top still alive. I shot him at 8:00am and recovered him at 12:00 pm. If i shoot a bird that gets away I always make an attempt to scan the rush tops in the area. The old man said it happened to him before.

24point

I would go to the last place you saw him when he landed. It sounds like he was hit hard. He will more than likely crawl under some brush and die. I have had it happen to me twice before. One time the bird walked off as if he was not hurt. Went to hunt another area the old man I was hunting with told me go back and look for your bird. I found him laying under a tree top still alive. I shot him at 8:00am and recovered him at 12:00 pm. If i shoot a bird that gets away I always make an attempt to scan the rush tops in the area. The old man said it happened to him before.

I went and looked, that was the first thing I did. I looked all over the place up in the trees and everything and didn't see him. I even went back today and looked some more and couldn't find him. I hope he's ok

chadf

it happens man!!!

best we can do is try to prevent it from happening again!

Well long story short. I made a bad shot on a good bird this morning. Now I'm sick cause I'm not sure if he'll live or not. It took a couple feathers off of him and he jumped up and flew about 200 yards with one of his legs hanging down. Do you guys think he will live? And if he lives to see tomorrow do you think he might be back at the same place in the morning?

That bird will not be back anytime soon.