Fiddleheads - Meat-eating Fiddleheads at that...

rip18

Yet another kind of fiddlehead besides the "real" fiddle heads and the fern fiddleheads. These are the fiddleheads of a sundew - Tracy's thread-leaved sundew or green dewthreads. The fiddlehead is the growing part of the plant that is uncurling in the springtime down in a south Alabama bog.

Sundews are small carnivorous plants. They catch their insect prey on hairs covered with "stickum". There were a couple of bugs on this pair.

Nikon D3, Lester A. Dine 105, f/16, 1/30th second, ISO 1250, no flash, tripod, cropped for closeup.

Same info for full plant except 1/180th second, f/8, full frame.

Attachments

• 5530tlsundewwebcrgon.jpg
    5530tlsundewwebcrgon.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 172
  • 5524tlsundewwebgon.jpg
    5524tlsundewwebgon.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 170

quinn

Dang, those are some great shots of a cool plant!

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
Mighty fine one RIP, neat discription too ...........

Where was the bog located .... I wish I would have given you directions to the Pitcher Plant bog on the Weeks River while you were in Baldwin county

rip18

Thanks.

That one was on the Conecuh National Forest from the Solon Dixon trip. I actually did make it to the Weeks River pitcher plant bog while I was in Baldwin County - but Little Critter was worn slap out, so I just got to look at it out the window. But I'll be back! (And I also went to another bog up near Citronelle, AL, but the light wasn't too good while I was there.)

JasonF

Those are pretty neat!!
Thanks for explaining them too!

GAranger1403

Really cool, don't think I've ever seen those, do they occur in the southeastern coastal plain?

rip18

Thanks, y'all.

Really cool, don't think I've ever seen those, do they occur in the southeastern coastal plain?

Yes, they have a pretty wide range along the Atlantic and Gulf Coastal Plain - from Nova Scotia to Texas.

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
jason, ya gotta get in the feral position to find em !!!! neat shot rip, just makes me hate even worse that i missed the trip !

wvdawg

Staff member
Cool plants and pics!