Spring Fed Creek

rip18

A spring fed creek in southern Alabama. Last year, this creek was an unruly, muddy monster (only happens every 8 to 10 years). But this year, it was a beauty.

First shot at almost creek level from about 3/4 the way across it. Nikon D3, Sigma 15-31 @ 15 mm, f/22, 1/6th second, ISO 1250 (ouch - sure wish I had noticed that I had it in Auto ISO mode...), tripod, full frame.

Second shot on up the creek towards the little fall in the first shot, but almost on the right hand bank & at eye level.
Nikon D3, Sigma 15-31 @ 31 mm, f/29, 1/20th second, ISO 1250, tripod, full frame.

Third shot on up the creek a hundred yards or so about midstream just above water level. Nikon D3, Sigma 15-31 @ 18 mm, f/22, 1/10th second, ISO 1250, tripod, full frame.

Attachments

• 7429creekwebgon.jpg
    7429creekwebgon.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 7409creekwebgon.jpg
    7409creekwebgon.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 7493creekwebgon.jpg
    7493creekwebgon.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 139

JasonF

Sweet shots Rip...really love the first! It's great to see you posting some landscapes for a change!

Never heard of the Sigma 15-31mm. Kinda a wierd focal range (31mm).

rip18

Thanks, y'all. Yep, landscapes are a bit "different" for me.

Never heard of the Sigma 15-31mm. Kinda a wierd focal range (31mm).

I did a quick Google search for the lens (which I've had for several years, but seldom make an excuse to use...). And I didn't find it - but I did find a Sigma 15-30 (http://www.bythom.com/1530lens.htm). The EXIF data in all those images say 15-31 though... Go figure.

rip18

Did a little more searching after looking at the lens. It does say 15-30. But there are a few references online to Sigma 15-30 mm actually going to 31 mm. And similarly, the Sigma 16-35 mm actually goes to 15 mm in some cases. So, nominally it is a 15-30 mm, but it actually is a 15-31 mm - interesting.

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
Really fine work on these Rip

Bubba_1122

Love the motion in #1 - felt like I had to brace myself so wouldn't get swept away.

Rip, what tripod and ballhead (make and models) do you use when you're out tromping around the woods? (been trying to get my setup in place - -has been a little hit and miss with it).

rip18

Thanks y'all!

Rip, what tripod and ballhead (make and models) do you use when you're out tromping around the woods? (been trying to get my setup in place - -has been a little hit and miss with it).

As far as tripod legs, I typically use a Bogen/Manfrotto 3221 WN. I think it has been replaced by the 055. It is a really good, but fairly inexpensive tripod (as far as tough, sturdy tripods go). It really isn't rated for the load I put on it sometimes, but I've not had problems, so I haven't upgraded (yet). I'll probably upgrade to a Gitzo that supports the loads I ask of it at some point, but the new Gitzos are SO dog-gone expensive.

For most of my "small" lens shooting - macro, portrait, landscape, etc., I use a Really Right Stuff BH-55 ball head.

For my "big" lenses, I use a Wimberley gimbal head.