My 14 year old Daughter kills her first Bird this morning!!

Perkins

Kalie killed this bird this morning and I think me and her mom are still shaking! Let me see if I can tell this story..

We were all up at 2:30am this morning and we headed out to Johnson County to our club to try to get Kalie a Bird(It's a Two hour drive) after getting there we realized work on the farm was being done in the area we first stopped, so we ran back around to the other side of the property. (funny how things work out). we might not have ever had this hunt unfold if we would have stayed over there. turns out they were burning on the first area we stoppped.
Anyway we got to our second area walked a couple hundred yards,and I hooted. he sounded off...Gaaaawwwwlll! only about 100 yards away it seemed, so we set up on the powerline we walked in on. I threw up a Feather Flex and there was a Magical tree right there with cover to spare!

My wife gets on one side Kalie gets in the center and Im on the left. I put the Benelli 12ga 3in (only turkey gun I had for her) on a trigger Stick and I started some light yelps and clucks. He must have gobbled 100 times!! non stop. He hung up at first it sounded like but ended up popping out about 100 yards up the power line. Trouble was Kalies gun was faceing the other way (to the left)..he was to our right. but I told her to be ready I thought he would make it down to us and when he did she could swing on him when he went behind the power pole in the center of the power line.

Let me tell you this turkey put on a show.. He strutted and gobbled the whole way to us eventually he made it to the pole but when he went behind it it was so quik that when she swung on him he saw her and threw his head up and putted. I said "Shoot"... "Shoot" and it took her a second but she let the Benelli Bark and he was dead at 20 yards!! Smoked him!

I can't tell you how proud me and her mother felt. we were so proud of her, and she was so excited! to get to share this with them both was the best hunt I have ever had! I felt kind of bad giving her the 12 ga but it's all I had. I did slip a 3in shell in there instead of the 3 1/2 but she said she never felt it at all!

Kalie, me and your Mama are so proud of you baby!!:yeah:

Her Papa is having the bird mounted for her, and Ted at Bear Claw is doing the work.
Hope everyone enjoy's the pics. 10in beard 1 in Spurs.

Attachments

• P1011180.jpg
    P1011180.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 1,528
  • P1011175.jpg
    P1011175.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 1,505
  • P1011183.jpg
    P1011183.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 1,520
  • P1011193.jpg
    P1011193.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 1,535
  • P1011196.jpg
    P1011196.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 1,498
Last edited:

Derek Snider

That is awesome Eric. Thanks for sharing the story with us and it was a fine story to read. I felt like I was right there with you guys. That bad boy should make for some fine eating! I'm going to turtle cove for thanksgiving.

Perkins

That is awesome Eric. Thanks for sharing the story with us and it was a fine story to read. I felt like I was right there with you guys. That bad boy should make for some fine eating! I'm going to turtle cove for thanksgiving.

Come on Brother your alway's welcome!

Arrow3

Thats awesome Eric!! Haven sent me the pic this morning while I was in the woods....congrats to all of y'all and especially Kalie!! :yeah:

Hunter Haven

Kalie Kalie Kalie
:yeah::yeah::yeah:

Congratulations to all three of you, my friends, Kalie, Melissa, and Eric:clap::clap::clap:

I am very proud of you also Kalie.
You rocked that bad boy:cool:
Way to stick it out and smoke him!!!!

As for my other two friends(Eric & Melissa). I am very proud of the both of you also. You take time with your kids and share memories that none of you will ever forget. I congratulate the both of you for being a mom, dad, and most importantly, a family....

Congratulation guys and "ladies":bounce: for a job well done....

Eric, I have heard you mention that your dad always had time to take you hunting and fishing. Just think, one day when Kalie is all grown up, she will remind you of this by telling you and others..."My daddy always had time to take me hunting and fishing."

Congratulations friends(Eric, Melissa, and Kalie), I am extremely happy for all three of you. I'm also happy to hear that "Papa" is mounting the bird for her. That's awesome:clap::clap::clap:

Perkins

Kalie Kalie Kalie
:yeah::yeah::yeah:

Congratulations to all three of you, my friends, Kalie, Melissa, and Eric:clap::clap::clap:

I am very proud of you also Kalie.
You rocked that bad boy:cool:
Way to stick it out and smoke him!!!!

As for my other two friends(Eric & Melissa). I am very proud of the both of you also. You take time with your kids and share memories that none of you will ever forget. I congratulate the both of you for being a mom, dad, and most importantly, a family....

Congratulation guys and "ladies":bounce: for a job well done....

Eric, I have heard you mention that your dad always had time to take you hunting and fishing. Just think, one day when Kalie is all grown up, she will remind you of this by telling you and others..."My daddy always had time to take me hunting and fishing."

Congratulations friends(Eric, Melissa, and Kalie), I am extremely happy for all three of you. I'm also happy to hear that "Papa" is mounting the bird for her. That's awesome:clap::clap::clap:

Man thats deep. I am proud to have you as a friend Brother. and Brandon, Mark and Derrick also. Made a tear come to our eyes. Thanks to all of you guy's.

Oh and I will make sure Kalie reads this.

Last edited:

Hoss

Awesome hunt and first bird for Kalie. You all remember this one and talk about in the years to come.

Hoss

kevincox

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome! Great pics and I know you all will remember this day forever!

trkyhntr70

Awesome hunt! Congrats to Kalie!!
Thats what its all about, WTG Mom and dad!

CAL

Excellent story and a beautiful young lady to boot!Many thanks for letting us all enjoy.Good job Miss Kalie!

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Awesome story! Keep kids in the woods!

turk2di

What an awesome bird! What a great experience that all of you were able to enjoy together!! Congrats to all of you...

golffreak

Congrats to all of you. She has officially killed one more turkey than I ever have...:banginghe

White Stag

That is awesome! Congrats to all of you!